Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Dear Bode,

I think you are one heck of a skier. I have one request - stop talking to the media. Your foot in mouth disease is getting a bit old. First we heard about skiing after partying. Now you are weighing in on Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong as cheats.

You aren't a ball player, or a bike rider. Stick to skiing, and see if you can manage to complete a run in Torino. Your World Cup season is not going to well of late. Maybe less interviews and more skiing will help.

Thanks,
Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was waiting for someone to mention Bode! Oh my goodness, you are a role model to kids! Not that he's supposed to be perfect, but c'mon now, who goes on TV and talks about skiing drunk?

=) Megan
Oh my goodness, you are a role model to kids!

Interesting point. Why do you think he is a role model? Do you think all athletes are kids' role models? Just curious.

Charlie
I think people want them to be role models. I'm not sure that is really fair, though, if they don't happen to want to be role models.
I think children look up to many people. If kids, or adults for that matter, are looking up to you, to them you are a role model. Bode or Mac Dre or Mike Tyson, they are not role models to me, but to some kids they are. A role model is someone that you look up to and want to follow, now if the actions taken by this role model are good or worth following is a whole other topic.

I am a substitute teacher for middle and high school students and there are kids talking about rappers who are their role models because they are rich and they've been shot at, there are kids who think Bode is super cool because he skies drunk and now they want to go to the slopes on the weekends. A few hold to the traditional beliefs and say their parents are their role models.

As for athletes being role models, pretty much all the famous ones are. Regardless if their actions deserve to be idolized, they are.

=) Megan
I'm not sure that is really fair, though, if they don't happen to want to be role models.

Does he do any endorsements? I use that as the line. When an athlete or any celebrity does an endorsement, they are saying, "I use this product and if you want to be like me, then you will use it too"

So, they are now role models and should act properly. If they don't want to be role models, then they should never do endorsements.
Wow. My first post on this board.

Bode said he was hungover and not drunk. At least he is open about such things.

I'm a big fan of his. Just read his book. He is what he is and if anyone doesn't like it, oh well. He's in it to ski and to win. He's been doing some great skiing but not much winning. Yet.

bigpix