Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
dear chris

I trade on scottrade but other discount brokers allow the same thing now. Its called a trailing stop loss. or called Trailing stop on scottrade's platform that I USE. Basically a trailing stop loss works better because less say I place a stop loss on LLY. Lily it goes up 7 pts one day. I was at work didn't check my stock when I got off. Bad mouse. I was smart enough however to lock in profits with A trailing stop loss. Because I set the trailing stop loss to trail by one dollar that price falls from 7pts to 6pts I locked in five dollars profit. but now the stock jumps after falling a dollar another two points that equals another two dollars profit. I lost that profit because the stop loss timed in. So set the loss according to can I number one afford a one dollar loss to make room for a three dollar gain. because had I set the trailing stop loss at 2pts. I would of still made the orignal 6pts profit. taken the two point fall. then gained the three for a profit of 7-2=5=3 pts=8 pts. so I ended up 8pts ahead and still in the game because I still own the stock and the I can market out if the profit is high enough are ride it like a smart fool and set another trailing stop for how many dollars i can afford to lose verses a up swing . That how a better stop loss works called a trailing stop loss. I would never use the normal one. Too much profit loss that way.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.