Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 44
Dear Commissioner Tagliabue:

I am writing to express my pleasure with the Superbowl. Or rather, my pleasure with the many things surrounding the game as the game itself was of high quality and very entertaining. My compliment concerns two things.

First, I LOVED the halftime show. I LOVED Janet Jackson being exposed, and there were still many other naughty actions taking place on stage that had to have been seen during the rehearsals, which I didn't see. People were grabbing their crotches and simulated sex by the dancers was good viewing. Kid Rock wearing the US Flag as a poncho was also philosophical and very thoughtful, and from the way he treated the flag when he removed it, I believe that he did this out of respect for the flag, rather than attempting to show a dire need for educational funding.

And, he defines the rules of etiquette regarding the flag. It shouldn't be used as formal clothing, to drape ourselves in patriotism. We were treated to some of the real world by your half-time show which showed guts and risk taking. The lyrics were totally unintelligible, but whoever cared about them? I have been told by people more familiar with the artists than I am, that some of the lyrics dealt with the use of illegal drugs, so perhaps this is a good thing. I love it that someone has the balls to mention drug use. It's unusual in this time of political correctness.

The second complimentI have with your Superbowl broadcast was the commercial advertisements. Many of these were crude and tasteless. Bathroom humor is OK with me. I understand that CBS pays your league a set amount of money and then the network sells the advertisements, and they all know that sex sells. Exposing a nipple probably quadrupled the audience for next years half time show, and let's face it: Nipples sell!

Mr. Tagliabue, I am a first time father. My son was born over 2 months before this Superbowl was played. Like many other fathers I have dreams of teaching my son the game of football. I love this game and I love the product that the NFL puts on the field. It is the only sport I will watch even when my home team (the Rams) is not playing. The only other sporting I do this with is the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, commonly called March Madness. But that is a three weeklong tournament.

(deep breath)

But I can't stand my young son being exposed to something as offensive as a nipple. This will corrupt him, as it has me, and he will grow up to be a serial killing, mass murdering despot. I'm convinced of this.

The NFL holds my attention for an entire season and I follow the league as a whole. As I said, I have dreams of teaching this game to my son.

But you showed him a nipple. And that's just beyond the pale.

My son has grown up in a world where sexual attraction doesn't exist, but now he has seen yet another nipple. We have breast fed him since birth, and now have to stomach an assualt on the core values of our exsistence.

But if I can't be assured that your product is safe for a child to watch, then I will not expose him to it. No nipples for my son. I am certain that I am not the only parent that feels this way. Do you really want to take a chance on losing the next generation of football fans?

It really all comes down to this. I will not introduce football to my son if football insists on introducing my son to filth. Or nipples.

Cheers, PB

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.