Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Dear Count,
I think you already know we are really happy in the place we live in...Stoneridge Creek in Pleasanton CA which is a CCRC. It has sister retirement communities elsewhere..
(I warmly recommend a CCRC which means "continuing care retirement community" because based on our current rent we are partly "prepaying" our later care which may be in the Assisted Living, the Skilled Nursing, or the Memory Care parts of our community. That is all in a separate building a 5 minute walk or a little shuttle ride from the main building)There are CCRCs all over the country.

Stoneridge Creek has a website but it seems a bit dated to me...www.stoneridgecreek.com but you are welcome to look. ...and more welcome to contact me and visit us. We can accommodate you without pushing you to be sociable if you just want tone here for research...
We have a spare bedroom...Well, it is a queensize bed with bathroom ensuite, but it has a few teddy bears, a toy chest etc for the grandchildren, and all my messy desk stuff. Just down the hall is an elegant "hotel room, kitchen and bath" for guests, but it is not as free as ours. And of course you could eat in the restaurants on site or my cooking....

They are busy building for 200 more people, separate villas, condos called "garden apartments" or apartments, small, or like ours...( which is 3 bedroom 2 bath) but I think they are all spoken for.

We have about 570(?) people now I think, and it is a wonderful mix of people. Locally scientists from Lawrence Livermore Lab,( very close to here) educators from Berkeley, lots from Silicon Valley, ordinary old teachers like me, health professionals, homemakers, some construction, well traveled people, even a few who authored books which are in a section in our library, someone who owns a local vineyard,people who headed up companies you might know, nurses etc...and people like yours truly, ordinary,middle of the spectrum, dull and friendly. There are an amazing amount (50ish) of little clubs and physical activities..(super pool)...you name it, they've got it, the Minnesota Club, book club, Readers Theater, gardening club, choir, bridge, current events discussion group, hiking,etc different film every night, concerts, and today for instance we had one of the top guys from the Silicon Valley company Nvidia, to talk to us about Artificial Intelligence (and show us his self driving car afterwards....) People have different levels of physical mobility. One couple is still biking around Europe, and other friends are on motorized scooters,....but no one cares how well you walk...

We love the opportunity for the variety of mental or physical activity on site, but also the complete privacy if we want it... People are not nosy, but they are caring.

As you can see, DH and I are very happy. He is still working, but also on the Resident Council, so getting familiar with it all..

Let me know if I can help you or give answers...
Maryanne
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.