Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear David (and other Fools),

You had a very interesting reply Monday night when asked about what to do if the stock market suddenly tanked next week. True to the Foolish credo of buy and hold, you said to "hold onto what you have".. and then added ... "and maybe buy some more..." The problem that arises, of course, is -- what do you do if you are already fully invested?????

I was wondering whether you subscribe to the idea of "nibbling", a concept which has been mentioned time and time again on these message boards. That is, if a stock (and/or the stock market) is near its all time highs, buy 1/3, then another 1/3 in the event that the market crashes within a couple of months. That way, some of your hard earned money is kept in reserve in the event of a market crash. This money can be kept in a money market fund in the meantime. It is disheartening, especially with volatile stocks that can fall (and have fallen!) 70-80% over the past few months, to have no recourse other than a LTB&H. Even if you were LTB&H, you would much prefer to have a cost basis of $20 for AOL, for instance, rather than $90. The compounded growth that you would be enjoying would be even greater for the long term if you had a low cost basis.

I guess my overall point is as follows: is it advisable to keep at least 20-30% of your holdings in cash or money market funds? think of it was insurance or extra ammo in the case of a market crash. This is in addition to money set aside to take care of your daily expenses, etc... of course!

Comments, anyone?

Thanks,
Charles
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.