Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear J.P.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice.

I think I have it now. Falling below 10,000 means the average price of all 30 ocmpanies. I would imagine that it might be difficult to "split" your stock if you're on one of the 30 DJIA companies; it would erroneously skew the average downward when in fact the stock were increasing in price. It is a guage to be used as a point of reference only and the "point of reference" shouldn't move but rather the rest of us pivot around it.

I wondered why they removed General Mills and inserted another large company...not even in the same sector (I think it was an energy company) when the perverbial "s___ hit the fan" around Septermber 29th. It seems like that was simply ofered a very thick coat of cover-up make-up to a very big pimple on the nose of the DJIA. I was not too happy to see them "making substitutions" as a way to shore-up confidence. Did you catch when they did that? Okay, so 10K just means $10K in dollars.

Thanks for all of the explanations and references. You have been very helpful. No, I have not been getting any negative responses at all and in fact, the post you answered was my very first post on a chat board ANYWHERE. I just didn't know what to expect from my VERY elementary and seemingly "foolish" question.

I guess everyone assumes that everybody knows this stuff and it should be common knowledge but when I googled and yahooed the question, I didn't get anywhere.....TOO SIMPLE AND TOO STUPID to be answered anywhere on the net. I got so frustrated after a couple of days of searching that I decided to sign up on this chat board.

Thasnks again for your very helpful and supportive replies.

Blessings,

KH
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.