Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I don't have any experience with this situation - so was hoping someone here my provide any helpful advice (the vet was in too big of a hurry to provide details...uuggh!)

While visiting relatives out of state about six weeks ago, our family adopted a 1 yr. old male cat from a shelter that was closing down due to lack of funding.

The shelter staff provided his medical history, including a list of recent vaccinations and medications.
Included was info that the cat had been de-wormed on 9/2/00.

Our kitty has lived indoors with us since we got him.
A week or so ago, my daughter mentioned that there were "little white things" crawling around the cat's butt area. I looked at the cat and researched the Web and it looked to be tapeworms. We took the cat to a local vet - who confirmed this "diagnosis" and sent us home with a pill to give the cat and some Advantage flea product - since apparently, tapeworm eggs can be carried by fleas which the cat can then ingest.

So, we've administered the Advantage and I put the pill down the cat's throat as instructed by the vet tech. We watched to see if he spit it up. After several minutes he crawled off to sleep under the sofa. We took the flashlight to look under the sofa (big, heavy sofa) to see if he might have spit it out - but we didn't see it. So, we have our fingers crossed that it's been digested and is doing its job.

I'm a little confused and the vet was very vague as to what we should expect next. Will the cat pass the worms? How long should this take? And Oh-my-God - can we humans catch them now? I've gone through the entire house washing every blanket, pillow case and sheet - I've vacuumed every carpet and swept everywhere. Every one in our household is under strict orders about washing their hands constantly. Am I being paranoid? I feel so sorry for the kitty and I'm just totally grossed about by this whole incident. We never suspected the cat had fleas because we had never seen him scratching - nor have we seen any fleas in the house.

Anyway, this whole situation has been a little upsetting to me - I'm just wondering if anyone else who has ever been through this - could provide some advice. THANKS

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.