Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Dear Peter,

This issue has me really angry. The IRS and the Congress, in my opinion, have a big debt with us, option traders, in defining when and how the rules for wash sale apply so we can pay our taxes with certainty.
After reading a lot of rules, laws and publications, in particular, the best ones in my opinion:
http://www.tradelogsoftware.com/resources/wash-sales/
https://fairmark.com/investment-taxation/capital-gain/
Besides the basic case (stock-stock), my conclusion is that long CALLs are always considered substantially equivalent to stock; and PUTs, only if they are DITM, if they are ITM you are on thin ice, so it may be better to be safe than audited. And that rolling short positions always trigger a wash sale, even in the super weird case that you close a short call and then buy stock.
My initial disagreements are logical but wrong, the law is the law and we have to follow.
The worst part of all this investigation is that after so many years, there are no clear rules about what to do or how in many cases and that each CPA may have a different opinion and you have to risk getting an audit and not being able to defend yourself against the auditor OPINION.

Thanks to AJ too for shedding light to this issue.

-
Juan
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.