Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear rattussovjeticus,

That was an excellent post on 3G. I am still wondering about it myself. I own a 9000il Communicator and I can recieve the internet at a speed of about 10KBPS. These new WAP phones that are coming out are said to run the internet at a faster speed, but how much faster. In my opinion we are just at the start of wireless Internet but that we have a long way to go. That's why I invested in a company called Metricom which will give me Wireless mobility but still allow me to use my laptop to do everything I need to do. They have a modem called Ricochet that by the end of next year will give one 128KBPS access in some 40 major cities coast to coast. I am actually writing you now using my Ricochet and am wireless. The service is really excellent and I pay a flat fee of $25 a month for unlimited use. The great thing about it is that it is one stop shopping, Wireless Modem and Internet Provider for a low price. You wonder why Paul Allens Vulcan Ventures and MCI bought up 87% of the company. As for 3G , I think it will take time to become popular. I think you will see the phone makers slowly advance what functions a phone will be equiped to do. Banking,Shopping,Using it as a credit card are coming, but my time frame is in 5-8 years, not next year as some people are hoing for. I can just tell you that in the next two decades we will see constant upgrade cycles for the Networks as well as the phone models, for it important to have the customer constantly upgrade their models so we can continually make more and more profit every year. I see strong growth in the wireless industry for as far as the eye can see.

Thanks for Posting and you are right about the cheerleading, hopefully this will be a place for all who post to be objective, so we can really see where the rubber hits the road.

MYCROFT
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.