Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Dear Scuba,

Well, it looks like Goofy said what I was to say more eloquantly than I probably will.

I guess though I didn't (don't) know the extent of the Fool's reach. I did see lots of techies, but to be honest I don't know how many folks are necessary to keep a web site up and running. I think it is "a lot", as a friend of mine is a techie at AOL (yes, AOL is bigger than the Fool, but the principle is the same...)

Of course I don't know anything about the economics of the Fool, but I think that the "reports" aren't a bad idea. I've bought some, I do think that they provide some value (certainly relative to the several hundred dollar price tag of "professional" reports on Multex.com). It seems to me that the only costs are the writers. I had not heard of the print newsletter though. I haven't listened to Fool radio for a little while, I'm curious to see how it has evolved...

It could be a factor of the size of the organization, but the Fool has not done a good job of acknowledging my input. For example, when the home page was changed, the Fool asked people to comment on the design. This I did; I do wish the Fool wrote a quick note to acknowledge that my comments were read. Also, multiple times I have had emails asking me to join the Fool, though I think I have been a reasonably visible presence on the boards for a couple of years. I know that mistakes will happen in any organization, but "good customer service" includes acknowledging mistakes and some mea culpas on occasion. I will say that many of the writers have been very courteous in their comments to me, and TomG wrote me a very nice letter once.

I do think that the Fool should do a better job synthesizing info from and interacting with the community. I realize that PatG is a very busy man, but I do wish that he could talk on the boards sometimes, make him seem a little less "detached". Having said that, we in the community aren't always the most friendly/positive bunch - I hang out a lot at the Berkshire board, where it seems that entering with a "TMF" nick is an invitation to attack.

Anyways, I think I'm rambling at this point. Best,

Lleweilun Smith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.