No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear y'all,

Not a "real accountant" by any means, but...

IMHO the point of the flow ratio is a measure of how much "free money" (non-interest bearing liabilities) a company has vs. "tied up money" (working capital requirements). Given this, I agree with TMFBobdog.

One example of "accrued expenses" would be paycheques owing. In most jobs folks are not paid daily, so a company gets free use of their employees' pay in the interim (until the employees receive and cash their paycheques).

I'm confused about the "current portion of deferred revenues" being a liability. It sorta sounds to me more like an asset. Unless they are paying out stuff, in which case certainly the "deferred revenue" is "free cash".

Stewart (in The Quest for Value) talks about "non-interest bearing current liabilities" as being free money, so from that point of view you may include both.

Best,

Lleweilun Smith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.