Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My father died recently and I'm trying to help my elderly mother figure all kinds of things out. She has to report his death to the SSA for social security payment purposes. But what about the IRS? I looked on the IRS site a bit but I'm not getting a straight forward answer.

They have been filing jointly forever and he was the main name and SSN on the tax returns. I understand for this year, the year of death, she can still file exactly as they did last year - married joint.

For 2012 I guess she'll have to file as single.

Does she just report the death when she files the 2011 tax return? Or does she need to do something before that, including sending the IRS a death certificate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.