Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 21
I have a different view here. Both the Rule Maker and Rule Breaker portfolios are very much alive with David and Tom Gardner in the Fool Advisor. And, if you don't subscibe, I will tell you that it is very good with both picks and tracking, an aggressive clearly Rule Breaker portfolio and a conservative Rule Maker portfolio. It is for a fee, however. The Fool is following (or perhaps leading) the rest of the Internet businesses in charging for their best services. The Fool Advisor is world class in my view and should demand some premium. Well worth it.

I was disappointed with some of the commentary on the closing of the portfolios. It was very un-Fool like to dance around what is really going on. Comments on how much risk the Fool staff takes in announcing trades were disengenuous. The Forbes analysts fess up every year to their picks and if you watch the Nightly Business Report, those commentators get confronted with their calls most directly. There is nothing special about the Fool's analysts in terms of hanging out there. Read Ken Fisher's articles in Forbes if you want to see some risk taking. He is predicting a 35% up market this year as well as accounting for his made and missed calls from last year. No one around here sticks their necks out that much.

Frankly, I don't buy the too much work comments either. The Fool is making a major business shift putting out more general advise for free but charging more for specific advice.

The staff posts have traditionally been completely open and tough, right or wrong. These recent posts have a flim-flam feel to them. It is the no nonsense, eyeball to eyball honesty that has made the Fool so successful so far. Lose that and you will lose everything. Let's keep it clean guys. I want you around for a while.

Ken
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.