Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to figure out how to get a credit for the debit interest I paid for having stock on margin. I don't know if I should fill out form 4952. I had more margin interest than investment income from interest and dividends so it looks like I have to. But is margin interest considered a passive activity? There's something about form 8582. Do I need to fill that one out? When I went through form 4952, the last line said to put in the smaller amount from line 3 or 6. The amount would be 0 because I didn't have investment property. That's what makes me think I shouldn't be filling this form out. If somebody could help me I would appreciate it. I'm very confused and it seems like it shouldn't be this difficult. Thanks,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.