Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Decades before Life Alert, elderly people used a simple system - they called and said Hello each day. No call from Sam or Sue - something likely wrong. Call authorities. My grandparents used this in their trailer park in the 50s. They actually had more than one call set - don't know how many times per day, but it was at least a morning and afternoon deal with different folks.

Meanwhile you are laying on the kitchen floor, having a mild stroke. You were making soup at the time, so the stove is on, merrily boiling the soup away into stew, then goulash, finally crispy critters, and possibly house fire.

Hopefully, someone will call you in the next eight hours, and if you don't answer, will automatically assume you are in trouble, not that you are just in the bathroom, down the hall doing laundry, or at the store picking up root beer.

Perhaps they'll try again tomorrow, by which time the oxygen will have left your brain and your kitchen will have burned down.

I think the $20 a month is worth it, my father has it (different brand, same deal) and when I get to any point where I am close to it I will happily pay for it, too. Of course I should mention that a few years ago my father took an Ambien, began to have hallucinations, and lay on the floor of his diningroom overnight, and was found there the next morning by the cleaning ladies. It happened at 11:00 at night, the cleaning ladies entered around 9:00AM. At the time he lived in a retirement home which had "pull chain alarms" in three places on the wall: both bathrooms and the bedroom, but because he collapsed in the dining room, he could not reach of any them.

He's now 92, has moved to assisted living, and wears a little white button around his neck on a lanyard, and we're all relieved that he does.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.