Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
decath,

I'm not sure how old you are but I'm 42 and it did take awhile to get to the 30% level. When we were 1st married, we did 20% for the 1st 10 years (10% to pay off mortgage and 10% to the 401k). I had a mortgage at 10 3/8% at the time so I felt like that was a pretty good guaranteed investment return.

My DW and I are both 29 and we are currently saving approximately 22% of my income. That includes the maximum being contributed to my SIMPLE IRA and both of our IRA accounts. In addition to that, the remainder is being added to my taxable account and my ING account. For instance, earlier in the year I maxed my SIMPLE IRA so I have been sending half of that contribution to my eFund and the other half to my taxable account.

Our mortgage is at 4.75%, my student loans are at 2.17% and we have a car loan at 3.99%. Other than that, there is no debt and I am paying this debt according to schedule since I am comfortable with the rates at this point. I may start throwing more at the car loan just to knock that out but I am undecided.

My wife does make about $400-500 a month as a part-time fitness instructer. She uses that money for groceries, miscellanious and kids expenses. I don't include her $$ in my calculations. Obviously, if she did not work, I would have to supplement her which would change my %'s some.

That would really come in handy. My DW had been working as a Stampin' Up demonstrator for awhile but there was not a lot of money coming in from that. She no longer does that so it is only my income to cover all of our expenses. When both of the kids are in school all day, I am hoping she will be able to find something to earn a few bucks but we have another two years for that.

Thanks for sharing.

dt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.