Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 2000 my mother-in-law lived with us and we will
take her as a dependent (for the first time.) She
died on July 3rd with assets of less than $1,000 and
had only received about 6 months of Social Security
at $450/month for 2000 income. Do I have to file a
Form1040 for 2000 for her ONLY to let the IRS know that she has passed away? Some place I read that a tax
return has to be filed within 8 months of a person's
death but her income was well under the taxable limit
to file. I will appreciate any advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.