Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, this is getting out of hand. Of course, many of you have heard of the doomsday, end-of-the-Mayan calendar, doomsday scenario occurin I believe December 21, 2012.

I thought this is a fringe element thing, and no truly rational person would buy into this. Of course there are some who are more scientific about it and think massive solar activity that was supposed to peak this year would wipe out the whole of the electricity grid, computer circuits, etc. That hasn't happened. Some say the earth will be thrown off orbit.

But I've been coming across "Survivalist" shows on channels such as the History Channel, Discovery, and CNBC who are giving alot of airtime to these doomsday people. And these people are not "crazies", well, at least they appear not to be. They come across as intelligent, well-spoken, cautious....and many are turning their lives inside out digging underground shelters, training for attacks, stocking up on guns and ammo, building remote communities up high in the mountains, etc.

It comes across as crazy....but what do I know? I just haven't seen any scientific evidence for this. And I know in 1999, and other date-inspired "end times", it comes and goes....and I expect this to be the same

Anyone here want to admit to actually being worried?? If true....it's less than 4 weeks away....December 21, 2012.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 32
Anyone here want to admit to actually being worried?? If true....it's less than 4 weeks away....December 21, 2012.

---------------

Horrible things that defy all logic and common sense do in fact happen. Take Nov 6th for example.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"But I've been coming across "Survivalist" shows on channels such as the History Channel, Discovery, and CNBC who are giving alot of airtime to these doomsday people. And these people are not "crazies", well, at least they appear not to be. They come across as intelligent, well-spoken, cautious....and many are turning their lives inside out digging underground shelters, training for attacks, stocking up on guns and ammo, building remote communities up high in the mountains, etc.

It comes across as crazy....but what do I know? I just haven't seen any scientific evidence for this. And I know in 1999, and other date-inspired "end times", it comes and goes....and I expect this to be the same"

Most of these 'doomsday preppers' aren't worried about 12/21/2012

They are worried about the collapse of the money system in 2013 or 2014......when the country goes back into recession and the lenders finally realize the US is never going to pay back its debt..nor the interest on it.....

or from a humongous solar storm or emp attack that wipes out the grid.....

or a meteor that slams into the earth..

but mostly government collapse after the welfare weenies are finally cut off as the country goes bankrupt....

t.
"Anyone here want to admit to actually being worried?? If true....it's less than 4 weeks away....December 21, 2012." - aolf

Worried? Au contraire my captain! I am ecstatic! Looking forward to it! Can't wait!

"There is a delicious irony in all this. Most people perceive 'death' as one of the worst evils they could experience in their lives (whether it be their own death or that of loved ones) yet if the experiences of Near Death had by so many are anywhere near the 'truth', then the most beautiful experience a human being is ever going to have in this life is his or her own death. The irony of the perceived worst being the best highlights the cosmic humour which seems to underlie the 'Game' associated with experience in this realm."

excerpt from Alex Paterson's NDE,
http://www.esolibris.com/articles/death_afterlife/near_death...

Art

AOLFoolman100

Nah. As I've always said, "When my time's up, it's up." No use worrying about matters that you cannot control.

That said, I am stocking up on Christmas beers. <g>

Mike
Maybe just a joke....

http://www.leaveyourmark.org/2012-mayan-calendar-cartoon

Where's the next panel, where two lowlifes are scheming on how to play this as they never want to let a crisis go to waste?
No. of Recommendations: 5

---------------

Horrible things that defy all logic and common sense do in fact happen. Take Nov 6th for example.

I saw a cartoon a couple days ago. Mayan chiseling out the calendar and stops. Chief looking over his shoulder asks, why did you stop in 2012. The other guy says, "That's when they re-elect the idiot".

JLC
Anyone here want to admit to actually being worried??

Not worried about doom's day prepping, but having paid more attention to the Sandy Storm and how little government at all levels can be useless, I'm learning and starting to prepare for being able to keep my house/family self sufficient for a couple weeks. Mostly butter but a little bit of bullets too.

The book I'm reading is a practical approach. I'm more likely to suffer from power outage and tornadoes than anything else. So food, water, blankets, stuff. Have the whole house generator so many things are taken care of. If my house floods, I'll need an ark. If we're struck by an asteroid or Yellowstone's volcano erupts, we're toast anyway and I"ll party like its 1999.

You think I'd have paid attention after Katrina but I had other things going on in my life at the time.

JLC

I'm not worried at all.

Some of my family have vague worries, but mostly this has to do with worrying about a breakdown in society due to running the economy by the democrat party.

In my opinion this will happen but it will likely take decades for the democrats to completely destroy the vibrant economy of the US - Witness what they did to Europe. Don't get me wrong, if they are not stopped they will succeed but we don't have much to worry about this election cycle.
... on December 22, 2012, believers will be recalculating the date.
... on December 22, 2012, believers will be recalculating the date.

or not (queue evil laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU)
"Anyone here want to admit to actually being worried?? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

President Obama looks like a close relative of Alfred E. Newman
so you figure the official government position is:
"What? Me worry?"

Howie52

If it happens, it happens. I have a sneaking suspicion that the world (and the human race) will still be around in some form or other into 2013 and beyond.

I'm more worried about living into 2013 and afterward, and maybe one day running out of money... or going blind... or things of that nature.