Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I remember the late 1990's when there was massive tax loss selling of value stocks in Dec 1998 & 1999.

Prices often fell to ridiculously low prices only to rebound in Jan thru Apr - varied somewhat.

People had a lot of gains from the market darlings of the late 1990's and often sold their losers indiscriminately late in the year.

Today there are select stocks and sectors with massive gains and no shortage of stocks down for the year or multi-years. Except for the fact that taxes are lower today, it could results in some major down forces on a lot of stocks late in the year?

In REITs, no shortage of down stock. Major REIT sub-sectors with depressed share prices include retail and lodging.

I own enough retail REITs already, all grocery focused, and feel retail has certain headwinds beyond the current pandemic.

Lodging is not my favorite sector as I believe that neither GAAP or FFO adequately covers the massive renovation costs that lodging seem to continuously goes through.

That said, I wonder if post-vaccine, there will not be a LOT of pent up demand for travel. If the share price of lodging REITs get really depressed in December, why not pick some up for a quick early 2021 rebound?

Or is this too obvious and they will be massively traded up on any vaccine news?

I will be looking for tax-loss selling in the most down industries in December including lodging, travel, financial and energy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.