Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My Mother-in-law has been living with us for over a year now ( and all of 2008) We provide for all of her needs and she does not pay rent of any kind. She is living with us for safety reason as she is elderly and needs assistance with every day living. She cannot live alone.

Under the IRS guidelines for qualifying as a dependent, one requirement is that she earns less that the Personal Exemption amount. She does have interest income and receives VA benefits off her deceased husband that do exceed the PE amount. Does this mean I cannot claim her?

Tx Snow
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.