Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Last month I moved from a state with an income tax but no sales tax (Oregon) to one with sales tax but no income tax (Washington). I was just reading that for federal taxes you can claim state income tax OR sales tax as a deduction, but not both. Because of remodeling the home we purchased we will have a fair amount sales tax paid but probably not as much as the income tax. My question is does living a portion of a year in the different states impact the "rule" of income tax OR sales tax so that I will be able to use some of both or is the rule absolute?

Thank you,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.