Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My husband is going to receive a sizable bonus in his August check since they are unable to give him a raise this year. His current tax withholding statements says he claims one personal allowance (are those dependents)?

It was suggested that for that one month he could change his dependents so that he would not get most of it taken away for that month. We really need the money right now.

Is that advisable? If so, how many allowances can he claim, etc. We do own a house so we get a mortgage deduction on our taxes, if that makes any difference.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.