Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All,

My wife and I are fully retired in our mid-sixties and wish to pay up to $5000 a year per child towards the costs of post-secondary or tertiary education for a number of our nieces, nephews, and great-nieces/nephews ranging in age from 5-16 years. None of the children live with us, and we don't contribute anything towards their upkeep/care that would qualify them as our dependents.

Given the relationships, are there any tuition related tax credits, deductions, or other tax related advantages or approaches available to us? I have researched an IRS Tax Tip pamphlet entitled “Five Ways to Offset Education Costs” (found here:, and have also read IRS Publication 920. In all cases we don't meet the dependency requirement. I'm out of ideas, and would appreciate any suggestions, guidance, or advice.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.