Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Deferred taxes can be a good deal in that it increases the funds you have available to invest by reducing your income tax payout each year.

The 457 could be a good deal for you too, but as an alternative take a look at LTBH (long term buy and hold) investing in a taxable account. By selecting investments that can be held long term (such as an S&P 500 Index fund), you pay little or no taxes (only on dividends or capital gains distributions and those can be minimal) until you sell, and then at capital gains rates. Its a good deal provided you can successfully select investments you can hold long term. If the market crashes or fundamentals change for the worse and you are forced to sell, taxes become due. So it can be tricky. The Roth and 457 give you greater flexibility to respond to the unexpected.

Best of luck to you.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.