Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
TMF,

You're going to have to decide if people who have been in some way paid by TMF are eligible for this award. It can be a pretty grey area.

rad
Print the post Back To Top
TMF,

You're going to have to decide if people who have been in some way paid by TMF are eligible for this award. It can be a pretty grey area.

Jacki, as you know, all official employees of the Fool are easily recognized by their TMF names, and I agree they (we) should not be eligible. But are you also referring to Soapbox authors or seminar team leaders? And if so, why shouldn't those last two categories be eligible?

Confused,

TMF Jeanie

But are you also referring to Soapbox authors or seminar team leaders? And if so, why shouldn't those last two categories be eligible?

Hi TMF Jeanie,
I think that these two categories of Fools should definitely be included. It was precisely because they were standout Fools that they were asked to be team leaders anyway

Regards
Philip
No. of Recommendations: 1
But are you also referring to Soapbox authors or seminar team leaders? And if so, why shouldn't those last two categories be eligible?

I didn't say they should or shouldn't be eligible. I think TMF needs to clarify the point. That's all. If I'm not allowed to pose questions, I'll stop doing it.

rad

No. of Recommendations: 3

I didn't say they should or shouldn't be eligible. I think TMF needs to
clarify the point. That's all. If I'm not allowed to pose questions, I'll stop doing it.

Did someone suggest you shouldn't pose questions? I was simply seeking clarification of your question. Who else besides soapbox authors and seminar leaders would fit this "gray area" you referred to? I don't know, which is why I asked. If I've overlooked a category, let me know and I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

My question was mainly rhetorical because I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up. Should (or shouldn't) community members who've been compensated for specific contributions be eligible for the award? I'm interested in your opinion.

Jeanie

No. of Recommendations: 9
Should (or shouldn't) community members who've been compensated for specific contributions be eligible for the award?

No absolutely not! You should also exclude community members you, or any other TMFer, know personally or have met, along with their extended families and friends to avoid influence from personal feelings. Moreover exclude community members that have bought any Fool product to avoid confusing quality with revenue stream. Finally, you must exclude community members that have posted on the boards. With these rules in place I think the competition will be fair.

Datasnooper.
No. of Recommendations: 0
ROFL! As usual, Snoop boils it down for us ;-)

No absolutely not! You should also exclude community members you, or any other TMFer, know personally or have met, along with their extended families and friends to avoid influence from personal feelings. Moreover exclude community members that have bought any Fool product to avoid confusing quality with revenue stream. Finally, you must exclude community members that have posted on the boards. With these rules in place I think the competition will be fair.

Jeanie

ROFL! As usual, Snoop boils it down for us ;-)

No, snoop posted what you wanted to hear. I thought it a fair question. There is a difference between just answering questions, and being paid for doing so, whether as a seminar leader or however TMF chose to do so. There's a move afoot to name the award after Jim Boa. Since he declined to be paid in any way by TMF, I think it might be appropriate to have the award go to someone of a similar mind. I also think having the award go to someone who answered financial and nonfinancial questions like Jim would also be a good thing. He would have been my nominee but I like having the award named after him even better. I don't have another nominee because I haven't been reading all that many boards in the past year so I don't have someone who covered an eclectic group of them the way that Jim did.

rad
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since he declined to be paid in any way by TMF, I think it might be appropriate to have the award go to someone of a similar mind.

Just to be clear, and as a reminder, the criteria for the Feste Award should be the Fool's community mission of Learning Together.

http://www.fool.com/community/mission.htm

Should we rename the award in honor of anyone, it will be because we believe that person exemplified(s) that mission. This is how we'll whittle down the final candidates as well.

Best,

Bogey
No. of Recommendations: 1
No, snoop posted what you wanted to hear.

No, snoop just tickled my funnybone. It was obvious (to me) that his reply was completely tongue-in-cheek.

There is a difference between just answering questions, and being paid for doing so, whether as a seminar leader or however TMF chose to do so.

Thanks for answering my question. Many others might well agree with that criteria. Others may not, but it's helpful to hear your opinion.

There's a move afoot to name the award after Jim Boa.

A movement I wholeheartedly support, FWIW.

Jeanie

as you know, all official employees of the Fool are easily recognized by their TMF names, and I agree they (we) should not be eligible. But are you also referring to Soapbox authors or seminar team leaders? And if so, why shouldn't those last two categories be eligible?
----------

Soapbox writers were not paid by TMF. We were paid by people who bought our reports. It seems like that's different.

I tend to think that those so active and helpful in the community that they are writing articles/leading seminars are probably among the most qualified for the award.

Rebecca
With these rules in place I think the competition will be fair.

<><><><>

I think we should nominate my dog Beau. He's never posted. He doesn't know any TMFers. He never bought a TMF product. He amuses enriches and enlightens me every day. He is capable of fetching ducks from cold swamps.

Mark