Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Delta - I realize the child support ended, but I paid it for more than half the year. Most children don't turn 18 on December 31st, so the IRS must realize that situations change during the year.

Retire, sorry, I didn't understand the situation in this detail at first. I thought you were saying you hadn't paid child support at all this year (meaning 2006). Not that it ended part way through. Having never been involved in the situation, I didn't know the rule that child support ends on the 18th birthday, or however it works.

Given that you had a child support obligation in 2006, and given that you supported it, then I agree that you would get the exemption.

This is also given that the child didn't provide half of his own support for 2006, but based on your wording that doesn't seem to be the case either.

The sad news for me is there is no way that I will end up filing first because I usually have to wait for certain tax documents sometimes all the way until October!

Well, you could talk to your ex and make sure she doesn't claim the exemption. If you think that'll be a problem you can say nothing at all and see. But whatever you do, just make sure to file with the appropriate documentation.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.