Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
(delurk)
On the other hand.... last year I lost my best friend (0x6a74)...

I'm so sorry to hear about that AM.

Last year about this time I went on a low-fat vegan diet....

Have you considered that nutritional issues, and not only life events/family, could also be influencing how you feel? You might want to get a check-up which includes issues like low vitamin D, B-12, thyroid function, adrenal function, etc. They can contribute to depression and lack of energy/motivation. It's not uncommon to get low on B-12 on a vegan diet. Do you supplement?

Also, low omega-3 essential fatty acids can affect mood, energy, memory and more. Do I recall that you're doing low-fat vegan too? Most people find fish oil the easiest way to supplement EPA/DHA. The plant sources (flaxseed, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc) have ALA that the body has to convert. Some people genetically don't do that well. Or if they are low in any of the co-factors for conversion (certain B vitamins, C, selenium, zinc, magnesium, etc). And it can be hard to get sufficient from just plant sources.

I was in a deep, depressed, sucky black hole with no way out when my D was low. Like, I-don't-care-if-I-never-wake-up-again depressed. And don't keep a gun in the house. My regular doctor didn't think to check and offered anti-depressants. Thankfully my naturopath did think of it. Having a doc who will order nutritional/hormonal tests is helpful. Otherwise, I've used www.healthcheckusa.com to order lab tests myself. Many times it's even cheaper than going thru my doctor-insurer, because of the large deductible our employer's plan has.

Getting my D level from 20 to 60 made a *world* of difference. My B-12 also got super-low when I was eating a lot of vegetarian while marathoning. Plus funky gut issues can prevent manufacture of B-12 even for those that aren't veg/an. Supplementing got my levels back up and helped a lot with energy and motivation. The methylcobalamin form is more absorbable and doing a sublingual helps. I've had the best results with Natural Factors 5000mcg tablets. They say chewable, but it's better to just stick it under your tongue to dissolve. There's a good blood supply there for absorption, bypassing the gut. They taste and dissolve way better than a lot of other brands. Effective too. If you get tested, the low end of standard lab ranges is a bit too low. Bare minimum should be at least 450. If you're supplementing when tested, it can throw the results to the high side.

Anyway, just some other avenues for you to explore. And yes, I really wanted to give the snap-out-of-it people a hard smack :).

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.