No. of Recommendations: 1
Dems have to avoid another Hillary in 2020 and I am not currently placing odds on that happening.

Not to rehash the past too much, but I think the biggest problem Hillary had was some failures in her campaign strategy. Her campaign took a bit too much for granted and failed to campaign sufficiently in a few states that were more borderline than they thought. Hillary herself wasn't a great candidate, but then again, neither was Trump. I think there were a fair number of people who held their noses and voted for Trump simply because he was at least running as a Republican.

Looking ahead to 2020, the biggest problem I see for the Democrats is the lack of any good candidates with some national name recognition.
--Pelosi - too old - she'll be 80 by then. (Trump is the oldest at his first election at 71. Regan was older - 73 - for his second term.)
--Warren - has said multiple times she's not interested.
--Biden - could be a good candidate, but he'd also be 78 at the time of the election. Plus he's said he doesn't want to run.
--O'Rourke - It's hard to run for President when you aren't currently in some office. (Lincoln and Trump notwithstanding) Still, he could make things interesting.
--Gavin Newsome - He just won the governorship of CA after being lieutenant governor for the last 8 years. It's been commented that every CA governor has some aspirations to the US Presidency. And he likely does. But he doesn't have enough name recognition. At least not yet.
--Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - Has some name recognition, but has a different age problem. She won't be 35 yet in 2020. Give her another decade or two.
--Oprah Winfrey - Why would a successful billionaire want to run for public office??

That's just a quick list of people I know of. I'm sure there are others - but probably lacking a bit in name recognition. That's not a complete bar to running, of course. But it does make it harder to run successfully.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.