No. of Recommendations: 1
Denny I think you had a view on this one.

Ant

A Room with a View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZkCc3xFl4

I never saw the movie but I like the title. Must catch it some day!

I have a view on the Pareto distribution of databases but know nothing about PostgreSQL so I can't venture an opinion. Is PostgreSQL relational or document based? If relational I would not worry about it, if document based then it has a foot in both camps making it much more competitive with MongoDB.

What is PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system that uses and extends the SQL language combined with many features that safely store and scale the most complicated data workloads. The origins of PostgreSQL date back to 1986 as part of the POSTGRES project at the University of California at Berkeley and has more than 30 years of active development on the core platform.

https://www.postgresql.org/about/

"object-relational" does not tell me much. Back in 1986 OOP did exist but was not all the common. I don't know how MongoDB works either. Storing the data is not the real issue but how fast and reliably you can retrieve it. Using TMF as an example, try searching it! Totally SUXS! That's where I would focus any comparative investigation.

Even if PostgreSQL were technically superior it's the market that decides who the winner is.

That's as much as I can add.

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.