Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OK.

The qualifying relative IS related to us. Adult single son, age 35. His 2012 income was roughly $500. He did not live with us. We alone provided for his support. I took an additional exemption on our 2012 taxes but did not deduct his medical expenses.

I thought I researched this at tax time. Do I need to go back and look at that again?

ML
Print the post Back To Top
It looks to me like he was a qualifying relative. He meets all the tests. I was entitled to an additional exemption AND to deduct his medical expenses (which I didn't do).

Agree?

If so, I'll probably need to file an amended return to include his medical expenses which will push us over the standard deduction.

Thank you very much for red flagging this item as something that looked wrong - one way or the other. It was wrong. He IS a qualifying relative and I did NOT deduct his medical expenses.

Sheesh.

I'll wait for a reply though before I start the amended return.

Thank you both very much.

ML
Here is the link I used to determine qualifying relative status:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_2012_pu...

(Too bad I didn't use this source at tax time. Ugh)

ML
No. of Recommendations: 3
The qualifying relative IS related to us. Adult single son, age 35.

Well, that does change things from your first telling us he wasn't related. Taking your word about support it sounds like he meets all the requirements for a qualifying relative dependent, and you may also deduct his medical expenses you paid.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool