Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When my husband divorced, he and his ex were given joint managing conservatorship of their son. It was not stipulated in the divorce decree who would get to take him as a deduction, but for '97 thru '99, his mother took the deduction. In 11/99, the boy committed a crime and was sentenced to a juvenile facility, which is where he was the entire year of 2000. My husband's child support was mandated to be paid to the state juvenile facility, but the boy's mother was not court-ordered to provide any support. Since the ex paid nothing toward the boy's support and since he didn't reside with her during 2000, can my husband claim his son as a dependent on the 2000 tax return. The ex signing a release form is not an option. Thank you.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.