No. of Recommendations: 7
Depending on your level of comfort in the market, I would take $50,000 and put into an Index fund. Maybe something like SPY.

Then I would take the final $25,000 and look at individual stocks. Hidden Gems is a good place to look. Good luck

I think you may have missed the time frame mentioned by the original poster.

You don't throw 75% of your money into a S&P 500 ETF, and invest the rest in individual stocks found on a newsletter (no matter how good it's done in the past) when you need the money in FIVE years.

FYI

5-year Avg Return of SPY as of today: -1.85%

That said, we would need more information to answer this question. This $75k doesn't exist in a vacuum does it? What you do with THIS money depends on what you're doing with your OTHER money, and what you're planning on doing in 5 years with this money.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.