Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
depends where you want to live.

TX and FL and NV and SD and a few others have no income tax.

If you are going to spend more than six months a year in a state,you will be a 'resident' and get socked for any state income taxes.

Some states like TN exempt pensions and maybe even 401K withdrawals but tax things like unearned income - stock portfolios, dividends, bond interest, etc.....

Ya gotta figure out where you want to live.....

If you can be a 'snow bird' and spend less than six months somewhere.....then there are more options....

If you want to be a full time RV'er..or spend less than six months a year in a house anywhere......then become a resident of income tax,no annual car inspections, only need to show up once every five years to renew your driver's license....

You'll find that in some income tax, but 8.25% sales tax and higher real estate taxes to make up for the lack of income tax.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.