Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
...The Florida House just passed the bill (that already cleared their Senate) to revoke Disney's special tax and governance status in Florida:

https://redstate.com/streiff/2022/04/21/breaking-ron-desanti...

The bill passed by the legislature on Thursday would eliminate the Reedy Creek Improvement District, as the Disney government is known, as well as a handful of other similar districts by June 2023. The measure does allow for the districts to be reestablished, leaving an avenue to renegotiate its future. It now moves to DeSantis’ office to be signed into law.

Democrats have criticized the proposal as clear retaliation against the company and warned that local homeowners could get hit with big tax bills if they have to absorb bond debt from Disney — although such details are far from clear.

Boom. The left used to be about "big corporations have too much power, man" but those days seem to be over.

I suppose Disney could go to a more friendly state in a warm climate - oh, right. Those are all pretty much red states except for California, and they're already there.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I suppose Disney could go to a more friendly state in a warm climate - oh, right. Those are all pretty much red states except for California, and they're already there.

================

Another suggestion for Disney would be to focus their attention on operating amusement parks and leave parenting of children to someone else, someone like say parents.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Another suggestion for Disney would be to focus their attention on operating amusement parks and leave parenting of children to someone else, someone like say parents.

That's a big 10-4.
Disney shows how insidious indoctrination has become. Get'em while they are young and shape them to form.
No. of Recommendations: 1
leave parenting of children to someone else, someone like say parents.

<chuckle><chuckle>

Becoming a parent does NOT mean being competent to raise children.
At this point, with their initial doubling down and then the revelations about the attitudes of their top entertainment people about forcing LBTQXYZ content into their stuff, there is no walking this back for Disney. Disney+ is already losing subscribers, and as Netflix just found out the market doesn't like that.

It would take mass firings, an abject apology, and a believable promise to never let this happen again to ever begin to regain the trust of parents.
No. of Recommendations: 4
It would take mass firings, an abject apology, and a believable promise to never let this happen again to ever begin to regain the trust of parents.

It would take more than that, for me. Just me. If Walt himself came back from the grave and cleaned house, I would still feel uncomfortable. he might have been a commie pervo, himself.

In seventy-two, the people I lived with took me to Disneyland. Just a kid, me.
My daughter visited Disney in FLA about six years ago. A four day field trip with
some club she belonged to. She told me that every place the group of girls she was with went,
there were always a bunch of men just hanging around.
I would not go today, let alone take a child for a visit.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I expect Trump Mini-me DeSantis will come to regret this in a very big way.
..reading your replies, I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors...

I hope they do.

Goodbye tax base.
Goodbye 60,000 jobs
Goodbye tourism that Disney bring to the sunshine state

Seems like a smart move by the governor.
.reading your replies, I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors... - nyua

------------------

Then you would be wrong. If Disney stays in their lane and operate an excellent amusement park, then fine. If they want to implement wacko California values into Florida, then they can still do so but without any special tax or regulatory privileges.
No. of Recommendations: 5
..reading your replies, I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors...

I hope they do.

Goodbye tax base.
Goodbye 60,000 jobs
Goodbye tourism that Disney bring to the sunshine state

-- nyua

That comment is completely incorrect:

1) Nobody wants Disney to close. But there is a want to have them change their corporate behavior.

2) Disney closing down? Probably only if the US is decimated somehow.

Liberals/"Progressives" consistently misunderstand or lie about conservative positions. I'll assume you merely don't understand.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
"reading your replies, I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors..."

Could you explain why you feel that Disney ..should... be granted a special exemption?
Then you would be wrong. If Disney stays in their lane and operate an excellent amusement park, then fine. If they want to implement wacko California values into Florida, then they can still do so but without any special tax or regulatory privileges.

I thought you were against cancel culture and for free political speech. Guess only if you agree with the speech. What wacko California values is Disney trying to implement? Is being for gay rights a wacko California value.. who knew? I think polling would prove you out of step... it is an American value.

Special tax privileges.. tell that to Orange and Oscala counties which will have to pony up 1 Billion in debt default plus provide electric, police, fire, sanitation to Disney which Disney now pays for themselves. It is estimated it can add 25% to the homeowners tax bill.

I guess this is why the legislation will not be effective until 2023 (after the midterms) so the legislature can quietly revoke the whole thing. Red meat for the gullible who thinks "owning the libs" comes without a cost.

I am an embarrassed Floridian.

FYI..

The Villages is also a "special district" that was not touched with this legislation. The Villages avoided the wrath of the Republican governor by having the date of special districts to be voided was just before the Disney special district.. I guess if you support the Republican agenda and are big Republican donors, you are not touched.

Legislation is not supposed to be vengeful.

This governor governs by vengeance ... we passed a constitutional amendment against gerrymandering .. so what does DeSantis do... vetoes the Legislative voting maps that gave the Republican an 18-15 advantage to a 20-8 ... so much for the will of the people..

Banning Math books...for teaching CRT which does not happen.. gullible voters...

By the way, constitutional lawyers seem to indicate that dissolving a "special district" can only be done by the district not the state. Off to courts this will go..
Could you explain why you feel that Disney ..should... be granted a special exemption?

Can you explain why The Villages should be granted a special exemption?
..by the way... The Villages special district is also exempt from Florida State Sales tax...

...more money lost to Florida...
“Can you explain why The Villages should be granted a special exemption?:

Because the residents are mostly MAGAidiots?
The Villages is also a "special district" that was not touched with this legislation. The Villages avoided the wrath of the Republican governor by having the date of special districts to be voided was just before the Disney special district.. I guess if you support the Republican agenda and are big Republican donors, you are not touched.

Nothing stinks about that. LOL.

Legislation is not supposed to be vengeful.

Republican legislation is. It is what Trump showed them. His biggest tools are fear and revenge.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors...

Wish I could count how many companies liberals want and have shut down. At least Disney doesn't bake wedding cakes. In fact Disney took the action they did BECAUSE liberals threatened their business. No one is more hypocritical or sanctimonious than a liberal.
"Could you explain why you feel that Disney ..should... be granted a special exemption?

Can you explain why The Villages should be granted a special exemption?"

No..ok your turn
I need to read up on what taxes Disney is avoiding. However, Disney is responsible for 27,000 acres of land, well developed land and I’m assuming they provide the funds for the maintenance and continuing improvements to the land and buildings, as well as providing jobs and animal care….I see a lot of money flowing out of Disney for all these expenses. How much is going to jobs and benefits? How many people do they employ? How does this affect the local economy? What is it worth to Florida?

I’m a moderate conservative and a lesbian. I’m not advocating for extreme measures on anything and dislike “woke” culture as if all adults must be protected against being disturbed by others’.

As a woman, all I want is to be respected by others or judged by them. Labels are very destructive.

I voted for Trump because I liked his strong defense and plain speaking but I severely dislike his arrogance and blaming and not being able to stand down when his time is over. That’s the extreme side of the Republican party and it’s just as bad as the Democrat’s. No one wins with this kind of animosity.

It will be interesting to see how Florida and Disney handle this. DeSantis is clearly playing to the choir of Trump supporters, like a kid in a sandlot. Follow the money.

Lucky Dog
<Goodbye tourism that Disney bring to the sunshine state>

Rob:

I guess Disney can take up Colorado's offer of welcoming them to their state. All that balmy weather should be a huge attraction for those who want to get away from the cold, harsh winters where they live.

The first rule of business is to not do things that are not part of said business that will anger a substantial group of your customers. A close second to that is to not listen to a small segment of woke people who insist that you violate rule number 1 to please them.

BG
Banning Math books...for teaching CRT which does not happen.. gullible voters...

Is the point of math to get the right answer? Asking for a friend.
Was there any doubt it would be? Disney picked a fight with the wrong guy.
DeSourpuss (The Trump Mini-Me) has some serious issues.

“we signed the bill, and then incredibly they (Disney officials) say we are going to work to repeal parents’ rights in Florida, and I’m just thinking to myself, you’re a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you’re going to marshal your economic might to attack the parents of my state? We view that as a provocation and we’re going to fight back against that.”

Stupid, stupid, DeSantis.

1) Florida is not YOUR state.
2) Disney attacked legislation that is thinly disguised hate and bigotry. Not parents.
3) The bill you signed, by your own admission, is designed to punish Disney for speaking out against the legislation. Legislation used as punishment is third world dictator stuff. Nazisim. Not in any way leadership. He’s not fit for the office he holds, much less the one he wants.
4) Pretending that a major employer in Florida (for decades, mind you) who is largely responsible for the tourism dollars that Florida depends on should NOT be interested in protecting their employees and customers from hateful, bigoted legislation is shallow and short sighted.

This won’t end well for DeSantis. Disney will be here and profitable long after DeSantis is just a bad memory for Floridians.
No. of Recommendations: 4
",,,This won’t end well for DeSantis. Disney will be here and profitable long after DeSantis is just a bad memory for Floridians."

Sour grapes is never becoming.
Disney will pass on the cost of paying taxes to the visitor stupid enough to pay $250. per ticket to get in.
",,,This won’t end well for DeSantis. Disney will be here and profitable long after DeSantis is just a bad memory for Floridians."

Sour grapes is never becoming.

So glad you agree.
"Sour grapes is never becoming.

So glad you agree."

So lame
I agree that DeSantis won't be Florida's governor for long.

I'm hoping we are all calling him President DeSantis soon.

gcr
I agree that DeSantis won't be Florida's governor for long.

I'm hoping we are all calling him President DeSantis soon.

gcr

Why do you hate America?
I guess you would be happy with Disney closing its doors... I hope they do.
Goodbye tax base. Goodbye 60,000 jobs Goodbye tourism that Disney bring to the sunshine state

Florida does not need these kind of jobs and tourism. In fact we don't need this sort of behavior in the US.

I suggest you take these kind of jobs and tourism to Somalia and good luck.

-=Ajax=-
Florida does not need these kind of jobs and tourism.

I believe Florida disagrees.
"I believe Florida disagrees."

Why is it that Disney ...should...have a special exemption privilege?
"I believe Florida disagrees."

Why is it that Disney ...should...have a special exemption privilege?

Like many others, Florida agreed to do so in because they believed it was a positive thing for the state and its residents. The larger question to me is why is a sitting governor weaponizing the legislature to punish a company - one who just happens to be a major employer in Florida and a major contributor to Florida’s tourism industry.

It’s spectacularly stupid.

This is not in the best interests of Florida and Floridians, but rather it is self-serving DeSantis’ own personal political goals. Or at least he thinks it is.

It shows poor judgement and abuse of power. He is much like Trump in that regard.
"Like many others, Florida agreed to do so in because they believed it was a positive thing for the state and its residents."(

They agreed to it 50 years ago, times change, circumstances change. The people of Florida elected DeSantis and those that elected him seem to agree it was time to end as MegaBillion Disney no longer had a valid case for keeping it. Disney itself has not made an argument for their need to have to have special privileges.
"Like many others, Florida agreed to do so in because they believed it was a positive thing for the state and its residents."(

They agreed to it 50 years ago, times change, circumstances change.

Please. He is using legislation as a weapon to punish a company for having an opinion about his bigoted agenda. Nothing has suddenly changed that makes this anything good for Florida.

The people of Florida elected DeSantis and those that elected him seem to agree it was time to end as MegaBillion Disney no longer had a valid case for keeping it.

They ‘seem’ to agree? How did you come to that conclusion?

Disney itself has not made an argument for their need to have to have special privileges.

Disney will walk through a careful, in-depth analysis and then decide how to move forward. They are a very successful American business - something Republicans pretend they are supportive of. My guess is that Florida taxpayers will not benefit from the outcome of this stupid political move in the long term.
"They agreed to it 50 years ago, times change, circumstances change.

Please. He is using legislation as a weapon to punish a company for having an opinion about his bigoted agenda. Nothing has suddenly changed that makes this anything good for Florida."

You have not disagreed with the fact that Disney has no need of a special exception privilege nor have they made a case for the need for it. You natter on about politics while at the same time being all about being a political operative yourself.
"They agreed to it 50 years ago, times change, circumstances change.”

“Please. He is using legislation as a weapon to punish a company for having an opinion about his bigoted agenda. Nothing has suddenly changed that makes this anything good for Florida."

You have not disagreed with the fact that Disney has no need of a special exception privilege nor have they made a case for the need for it.

Need? Disney and the State came to an agreement, one that I assume was mutually beneficial. They made their case for it years ago. Has anyone asked them to restate their cases now?

Does the Villages have such a need? Have they made a case for it?
"Does the Villages have such a need? Have they made a case for it?"

Ahhh the deflection, used when one knows that they have no leg to stand on.

Does the Villages have executives that want to talk sex to adolescents?

Ahhh the deflection, used when one knows that they have no leg to stand on.

No, I just asked a relevant question. I answered yours, so no deflection.

Does the Villages have executives that want to talk sex to adolescents?

You'd have to ask them. Disney doesn't. What a weird non-answer.
>>Does the Villages have executives that want to talk sex to adolescents?<<

You'd have to ask them. Disney doesn't.

----------------

Disney doesn't have to. They support policies that outsource the direct talking of sex and gender identity with five year olds and doing it without parental knowledge or involvement.

Disney should stick to operating amusement parks and selling products to the Chinese.
"Disney should stick to operating amusement parks and selling products to the Chinese. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Buying from as well as selling to the Chinese.

Only thing is that Disney is eager to do as the Chinese request morally, ethically and especially
politically.
They do not react the same to Florida.

Howie52
>>Does the Villages have executives that want to talk sex to adolescents?<<

You'd have to ask them. Disney doesn't.

----------------

Disney doesn't have to.

They don't.

They support policies that outsource the direct talking of sex and gender identity with five year olds and doing it without parental knowledge or involvement.

No, they don't. But they do object to bigotry and ignorance, and the promotion of fear and hatred. They will do the right thing when it comes to their business, their customers, and their employees.

Disney should stick to operating amusement parks and selling products to the Chinese.

And governors should stick to governing instead of weaponizing legislation. Neither of us will get our wish.