No. of Recommendations: 10
Despite the fact that I really enjoyed Mordant's Need (Mirror of Her Dreams / A Man Rides Through), I really hated Covenant. The main character is a jerk, and he never stops being a jerk. I know, I know, that's supposed to be the point, but I never liked the books, or his "Gap" series which was much the same way.

The sad thing is that he is actually very imaginative. The whole series of Covenant books is full of quite interesting and original concepts. The main characters can be really hard to swallow though (I think the second trilogy is even worse in that regard). Granted they all have good, sound reasons for being as messed up as they are, which are revealed gradually as back story via flashbacks - all very literary - but it doesn't make it any easier to identify with them.

A typical Covenant story might go something like this:

X: "Hail Y! You have come to save us in accordance with the ancient prophecy! Come, be welcome in our castle!"
Y: "My mother never let me play with sandcastles as a child, so I hate castles. I'm going to blow this one up." (Blows it up)
X: "Y is still the Chosen One, so we must obey him, even though he destroyed our home. O the pain."
X: "According to the prophecy you must fight and defeat our ancient enemy. He lives to the east."
Y: "Bite me. I don't accept the validity of this prophecy. I'm going west."
X: "Since Y is the Chosen One, we must follow him west, even knowing that our lands will surely be razed by the enemy in our absence. O the pain."
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.