Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
determinedmom:

>>In the near future, we plan to each put the max in for 401k<<
>>We are planning on aggressively saving (we do have some savings in non-retirement accounts) over the next several years<<

Congrats on recognizing your needs and the eminent issue you will have if you don't start now.

Based upon the fact that you do not qualify for a Roth IRA, then I assume your income exceeds $160K. That should allow you plenty of room to start some very aggressive investing, as you state. However, the two statements above appear contradictory. Am I missing something? Is there a lot of debt that needs to be paid off?

1. You should never pass up on the free money offered by employer matched 401-K, as that should be your absolute best investment (after all, what other investments return 100% year after year?). Start immediately on that, not in the "near future".
2. Determine immediately how much you will need in retirement income and over what period of time. Most financial planners (and myself) are assuming that if retirement age is 65, you will need at least 20 more years of cash flow for men and 25 for women.
3. Based upon the amount of income you will need and years you have left, you can work backwards to determine if you have enough of a head start and are investing enough at the right returns. In additional to modeling this myself, I use a model on a website at www. financialengines.com...it works great and will tell you if your current plan will allow you to meet your retirement goals.

I will review your stated investments and respond later on suggested changes.

as

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.