Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi,

I am a regular poster over on the LBYM board, but I have a question I think is more suited to this board. If this has already been discussed, I apologize; however, a quick search didn't yield up a thread on this. :-)

I clean houses on the side, during the summer months when they are rented out. My price is not set - it varies on the size of the house, the frequency of the cleaning, etc. However, I have had a few people that will try to lowball me on the price. I am still enough of a novice at setting my own prices that it rattles me. I am looking for some advice on how to handle that.

How did/do you all determine how much you will charge for your goods or services?
Do you start higher than what you'd really like to charge?
Do you have set point beyond which you will not go below?
Have you lost a deal because you would not accept the price they were offering?

I felt a little guilty when the most recent client said, "I can't believe I'm going to pay you this much, I was told it would be much cheaper," etc. (FWIW, my price was the going rate, maybe even slightly less than what others would charge. At the time, I was very polite, but stood firm, saying that my price was about what everyone would charge, but she was certainly welcome to try to find someone to do it for cheaper. Afterwards, though, I started to question myself.)

I am looking forward to any and all feedback; I think that whatever business I'm in, this question will pop up. Thanks!

-Molly
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.