No. of Recommendations: 3
Detroit’s emergency manager says the city is bleeding much more red ink than originally thought. That’s what Kevyn Orr told WWJ City Beat Reporter Vickie Thomas in an exclusive one-on-one interview.

“The situation is severe,” Orr said. “It’s worse that we originally thought. It ain’t good.”

“This is truly a financial emergency and we need to move with speed because frankly, we can’t be here in the same position next year.”

In the report, Orr uses charts and graphs to paint the bleak picture of the city’s finances, including over $15 billion in long-term debt and an accumulated operating deficit of $325 million.

“We’ve been collecting operating deficits at about $18 million to $20 million a year. That’s nobody’s fault, I think, frankly, the mayor and the council has done the best they can with what they have.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/05/08/kevyn-orr-detroit-is-...

When you're a lib, it's never ever ever anyone's fault.

SO let's give all the public sector workers a raise this year. They deserve it!

t.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
SO let's give all the public sector workers a raise this year. They deserve it!

Or...let's retain them because to throw them all out would be "brain drain."
The blind are leading the blind!

....so sad....
No. of Recommendations: 1
When you're a lib, it's never ever ever anyone's fault, except when you can blame Republicans.

Fixed it for you.
Orr is trying to walk a fine-line between doing what needs to be done and not inflaming an already tense political situation. Frankly it's a thankless job. The powers-that-be in Detroit refuse to believe things are as bad as they are... whether they're really that stupid or they're posturing because they know the electorate would rather bounce them than hear the truth is anyone's guess (I assume it's the latter in most cases, though some on the City Council really do seem to be dumber than a box of rocks).

The phrase "Worse than we originally thought" is a VERY common refrain. In a month or two it'll be worse than they think it is now, because the deeper they dig the more rot they are finding. We're talking about a city that might as well be in an alternate universe (in terms of how it is run and the electorate). Money is literally no object to them... they seem to believe it literally grows on trees (which is odd as there aren't as many trees in Detroit as you'd think, but I digress). They just assume the state will pay for it, or the feds... with a blank check. Really, they're most upset with the state for not giving them the funds they're "due" (when in reality the reason the state didn't pay them is because the state didn't pay anyone... the state was destitute too after eight years of Granholm!) Michigan is just getting back on it's feet and finally running budget surplusses, but that doesn't mean it can start giving out money willy-nilly like it did in the past (which got it into trouble of course).

It pretty much is the fault of the City Council and previous mayors that Detroit is in this mess, but Orr can't say that without upsetting a lot of people who are already plenty upset (the idiots blocking traffic on the expressways for example). In the upcoming mayoral election candidates are lining up in opposition to the emergency manager. Technically the EFM can strip them of their power anyway, but Orr hasn't been interested in taking that step because riots wouldn't help the situation (and they WOULD happen).
First Detroit needs to scrape the abandoned homes off its landscape. Then it should return to the days of the Old West when land was homesteaded to anyone who would work the land by erecting a commercial or residential building on it. Detroit would become the innovators/entrepreneurs paradise, including home based businesses.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/lists/most_ambitious_cities...

What do you do when there are no jobs to be had in your industry? For some Americans it seems the answer is to follow your ambition and simply make one for yourself, according to a recent study released by the Kauffman Foundation, the Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity.* In 2008, despite the economic recession that took hold in the last three months of the year, the percentage of Americans starting businesses increased slightly over 2007, moving from .30% to .32%. On the state level, Georgia, Montana and New Mexico all demonstrated comparatively high rates of entrepreneurship—each with more than 500 people per 100,000 starting new businesses in 2008. The rate of entrepreneurial activity proved higher still in the country’s largest metropolitan areas. Click through to see America’s Top 10 Most Entrepreneurial Cities.

*The Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity represents "the percent of individuals (ages twenty to sixty-four) who do not own a business in the first survey month that start a business in the following month with fifteen or more hours worked per week."

Then they need to close the welfare rolls except to help long term welfare recipients to get off Uncle Sugar's plantation by relocating elsewhere--like Chicago. They would be allowed to relocate only to states that voted for Baracky Owebama.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Then they need to close the welfare rolls except to help long term welfare recipients to get off Uncle Sugar's plantation by relocating elsewhere--like Chicago. They would be allowed to relocate only to states that voted for Baracky Owebama.

Oh, they have. Michigan now has a 48-month lifetime limit on welfare. You should have heard the HOWLS of indignation when that was passed! As if four years of living on the dole isn't more than generous.

Living on welfare really is a lifestyle for WAY too many in Detroit. Turns out LBJ's "Great Society" was a huge disaster.
Oh, they have. Michigan now has a 48-month lifetime limit on welfare. You should have heard the HOWLS of indignation when that was passed! As if four years of living on the dole isn't more than generous. - colovion

-------------

Wow. That is impressive that such common sense could get passed. Kudos to Michigan lawmakers for taking the heat to do the right thing.
Wow. That is impressive that such common sense could get passed. Kudos to Michigan lawmakers for taking the heat to do the right thing.

They've been doing that a lot lately. It helps to have both houses of the legislature solidly in GOP control and a GOP governor.

The latest law they passed was one that lets a commission decide what animals can be hunted in Michigan based upon scientific recommendations. This thwarted the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) efforts to ban wolf hunting here, which probably would have been successful given they were able to ban the hunting of mourning doves several years ago. Since it is a commission deciding which animals can be hunted and not the legislature their decisions can't be overturned via referrendums. This has upset the animal rights people to no end!

They've passed the Emergency Financial Manager law, Right to Work, some pro-gun bills... stuff that the Dems would have never passed and Granholm would have never signed.
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's gonna be a long climb back, but we're making many good decisions to reverse decades of liberal misrule.
It's gonna be a long climb back, but we're making many good decisions to reverse decades of liberal misrule.

There are some quite bitter about the changes, to be sure. Unions are upset, some retirees are upset (since pensions can now be taxed by the state as income, which is something most other states that have income taxes have been doing all along), teachers are upset... your usual liberal constituents in other words. They couldn't even get a recall vote to happen against Snyder so that's a good sign but next year's election should still be interesting.

FWIW there are few moves Snyder has made that I've disagreed with. The main one is what he didn't do last fall... signing the law that would have allowed enhanced concealed carry in places that are currently pistol free zones per Michigan law (if you took an additional class, etc.) That was mostly bad timing... Newtown happened literally the day before the bill got to his desk so it wasn't politically expedient to sign it I suppose (though it is very likely to pass again and could be signed this time around).

I supported Snyder in the last election and thus far have every intention of wholeheartedly supporting him this time around.
They've passed the Emergency Financial Manager law, Right to Work, some pro-gun bills... stuff that the Dems would have never passed and Granholm would have never signed. - Colovion

---------------

Well, good for you and for Michigan. There will continue to be a lot of businesses and people fleeing the Blue states. Texas can't take them all.
There will continue to be a lot of businesses and people fleeing the Blue states.

Except for California. People will put up with a lot to stay warm all year round.
There will continue to be a lot of businesses and people fleeing the Blue states.

Except for California. People will put up with a lot to stay warm all year round.

IIRC (and I might now), California would be losing population if it were not for illegal immigration. Those that can afford to relocate to a state with less onerous laws are doing so. Only the indigent, criminal, and illegal populations are growing.

If my memory is correct, then CA is in a death spiral and Gov. Moonbeam and the liberals in control are pushing the stick and throttles forward.
If my memory is correct, then CA is in a death spiral and Gov. Moonbeam and the liberals in control are pushing the stick and throttles forward.

Some--no, a lot of--truth to that.

22 Facts About California that Make You Wonder Why Anyone Would Still Want to Live in that Hellhole of a State

One of the only things keeping the population of California relatively stable at this point are the massive hordes of illegal immigrants that are constantly pouring into California cities. There are certain areas of major California cities that you simply do not ever want to go into anymore. In fact, there are rumors that the police will not even venture into certain areas anymore. [...]

Of course on top of everything else there is the constant threat of wildfires, mudslides and earthquakes. One day a really “big earthquake” is going to hit, and once that happens many people believe that the geography of the state of California could be permanently altered forever.

But what most people are focused on right now is the horrific financial condition that the state of California currently is in. Governor Brown recently summarized his analysis of California’s financial condition with the following statement: “We’ve been living in fantasy land. It is much worse than I thought. I’m shocked.”

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/22-facts-about-cal...
Governor Brown recently summarized his analysis of California’s financial condition with the following statement: “We’ve been living in fantasy land. It is much worse than I thought. I’m shocked.”

I'm still wondering why anyone listens to any liberal about anything having to do with the economy when time after time after time liberals end up saying "It's worse than we thought!" after their plans are enacted and everything goes to hell. We saw it with the "unexpected" unemployment numbers all during the recession/election (and, frankly, I don't trust the numbers now given they've admitted they have no idea what the hell they're talking about!), we've seen it in places like Detroit (Kevin Orr, the Emergency Financial Manager, said it just this week) and now there's Gov. Brown saying the same thing in California.

I believe we have enough data points to come to at least one conclusion:

Liberals are dumb.
permanently altered forever.

Did they really say that? Oof.