Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
DeweyJohn: "Hi! I have been lurking here for quite some time. This my first post to any discussion board."


"I am looking for information on tax ramificatations of transfering stock to an adult child. Is this considered a gift?"


"Can only 10K be transfered tax free?"

Sort of. First, I think that annual exclusion has gone up to 11k (from old 10k), but one of the other regulars should confirm. The annual limit is a per giver/per recipient limit per calendar year. Value for gift tax purposes would be FMV at time of transfer.

You do not state whether you are married, or whether adult child is married. If yes, then each person can give to the other, so that if both you and adult child are married (to other people, not to each other), then it is possible to give up to 4x the annual exclusion.

You give 10k to child.
Your wife gives 10k to child.
You give 10k to child's spouse.
Your wife give 10k to child's spouse.

To the extent that you exceed annual exclusion, it does not necessarily mean that a gift tax will be due. You will need to file a gift tax return, and then you can apply part of your lifetime equivalent to avoid the tax but forever using that portion of the equivalent. The lifetim limit a few years ago was equivalent to $600,000 in gifts, but that number has increased. It mght be 750k for 2003; one of the regulars will need to confirm. Only if you have already used up lifetime equivalent will a gift tax be due.

"How does this affect capitol gains? For us and the child? It will eventualy be inheirited but with the current economy and her job loss it would better serve her."

Your child gets your basis (and holding period) for purposes of calculating capital gains. For calculating capital losses, child gets lesser of your basis or FMV at time of transfer (and your holding period); IOW, no giving away capital losses. You, the donor, would not pay any capital gains. Child, donee, would otherwise pay pursuant to normal rules, when the gain or loss is realized.

Hope this helps.

Regards, JAFO

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.