No. of Recommendations: 4
DH hasn't retired yet. It's not for the money, although that's the bit I REALLY appreciate! He loves working on problems with the young start-ups and Silicon Valley entrepreneurs...his brain is really engaged.

His clients refer other clients...he never needs to recruit actively. And because he was bed-bound for 6 months and has never been able to drive since, (altho he walks again,) all his business except for the big monthly all-day meeting ( we have to take two days away for that because of set-up and pull-down in meeting room) he does on Skype. Skype's an amazing way to work one on one.

I WOULD worry about his eventual retirement, given he is SO involved with his work, but he loves bridge ( there's a club here,) political discussion, (there's a club here,) travel ( he has already booked for Europe 2019,) music, ( lots of concerts) genealogy ( he's in the middle of research) Resident Council ( he's up for re-election) family stuff ( good grandpa), movies ( there's a free cinema downstairs with a new movie every day),theater ( we have season tickets to Berkeley Rep,) televised sports ( he's in a "betting" group and also records his favorite English soccer team so that he still can watch that)and he swims at least 3 times a week but would do more swimming if retired....so I guess he'll find something to do. He's my toy boy,(i.e.younger than I am) but even if he decided to retire next year, he'd already be 76...scarcely an early retirement.

But I believe this thread is about the adjustment to a new life, not about the age of retiring. I'm hoping he'll do fine with the adjustment.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.