Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Last year I started 2015 with a lot of home, having been on Invokana for a little over a month and already seeing amazing improvements in my fasting blood sugar and a nearly full 1 point drop in my A1C. I wish I could say the year ended as strongly as my December fasting blood sugars were a little high. So in 2016, I'm recommitting myself to an improved diet, more exercise, and better numbers. So far, January is off to a better start, but I'll be happier when I get my next A1C test.

Here's some articles I found to help give me inspiration. I hope they have the same effect on you.

-----

Most people with diabetes can enjoy some alcohol. Rules are the same as for everyone else: one drink per day for women; two for men. But you need to know how alcohol affects your blood sugar. A sugary drink might spike your blood sugar. But if you drink on an empty stomach or take certain meds, your levels could swing too low.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/ss/slideshow-diabetes-alcohol

JDRF-supported Calibr, which stands for California Institute for Biomedical Research, is a unique interdisciplinary institute poised to create insulins that can control glucose better for people living with type 1 diabetes (T1D). Calibr is developing a new GRI with a novel antibody platform. Their design will create a switch for a person with T1D that “turns on” at high concentration of glucose and it can “turn off” at low concentration of glucose. It is also designed to remain dormant until it is activated. This glucose responsiveness is designed to closely mimic the natural insulin release in people without T1D, a process that has involved regulating the release of the right amount of insulin for any given glucose concentration.

http://jdrf.org/blog/2015/11/24/designing-an-on-and-off-swit...

Today we celebrate a significant achievement that advances delivery of artificial pancreas (AP) technology to the type 1 diabetes (T1D) community. Over the past decade, JDRF has provided more than $3.5 million to support the development of AP technology by University of Virginia (UVA) researchers. That technology has now taken a major step towards commercialization with the research team announcing that its inControl AP platform will be tested in a multi-center, $12.7 million clinical trial funded by the National Institutes of Health using money from its Special Diabetes Program, which JDRF persuaded Congress to renew last year. The trial is set to begin early this year. The research team also has licensed its inControl AP platform to the startup TypeZero Technologies for the purpose of commercializing the software should it receive FDA approval. This important accomplishment would not have been possible without help from our many supporters. We are extremely grateful to our donors, partners and the entire T1D community.

https://pages.jdrf.org/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=...

As 2015 draws to a close, JDRF is drawing closer to realizing our vision of a world without type 1 diabetes (T1D). JDRF has driven real progress over the past year: redesigning insulin delivery equipment; attracting new investments in close-to-market diabetes therapies; advancing clinical trials of encapsulated cell therapies; discovering new triggers for beta cell replication; and defining a window of opportunity for delaying symptomatic T1D. Along with many other compelling research outcomes from 2015, these successes highlight progress in advancing JDRF’s mission.

https://pages.jdrf.org/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=...

Fuskie
Who wants to throw out a question for the group - how old should your BG test meter be before you replace it...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Blue Nile (NILE), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.