Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
Here is a link to the various dialects spoken in America:

http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/1906/dialects.html

As I have posted numerous times before, I appreciate the diversity of these dialects. I really do. (Note that there are 24 dialects shown.)

I do want to point out that the name of this board is NOT the "Cajun Dialect Recipes/Cooking Board". While many of the posters here seem to enjoy posts in the Cajun Dialect (or what the posters think is the Cajun Dialect), there are others who don't. (Me, for one.)

So, I have a couple of suggestions.

#1 - rename this Board the "Cajun Dialect Recipes/Cooking Board" and ask TMF to open a "Non-Cajun Dialect Recipes/Cooking Board" for those of us who speak (and read and write) any of the other 23 dialects.

#2 - have the OP put into the subject line of any post that is going to contain mostly what the poster thinks is the Cajun Dialect, the word "Cajun". (This will enable people like me (who are not inclined to try to decipher what the poster thinks is the Cajun Dialect) to ignore the post without having to click on it and say "oh, sh*t, another one" before moving on to the next post.)

Thank you very much for your consideration and my apologies for a somewhat "off topic post".

Christina

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
I don't like it either, can't make heads or tails out of it but some people find it amusing so just do what I do...ignore those posts. Anytime I open a post and it's has that cajun garble on it, I just move on.

Kathy
No. of Recommendations: 3
#1 - rename this Board the "Cajun Dialect Recipes/Cooking Board" and ask TMF to open a "Non-Cajun Dialect Recipes/Cooking Board" for those of us who speak (and read and write) any of the other 23 dialects.

#2 - have the OP put into the subject line of any post that is going to contain mostly what the poster thinks is the Cajun Dialect, the word "Cajun". (This will enable people like me (who are not inclined to try to decipher what the poster thinks is the Cajun Dialect) to ignore the post without having to click on it and say "oh, sh*t, another one" before moving on to the next post.)

The "Cajun" thing started on the BBQ board, so I stopped going there as it is simply too much trouble to attempt to understand. It has been slowly taking over this board to the point that I have seriously cut back on this board also. It's also taking over the "Gestalt" board, so I've stopped hanging there. I guess I simply will have no cooking boards on TMF to go to at this rate.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I guess I simply will have no cooking boards on TMF to go to at this rate.

All I can say is that it'll be one darn cold day in hell when I stop posting here on the Non-Cajun Cooking and Recipes Board because a bunch of folks consider it appropriate to attempt to use written words which they think resembles a dialect spoken by a very small percentage of folks here in America!!!!! I suggest that like me (and several other posters), you make the posters attempting to educate the rest of us on the Cajun dialect "Ignored Fools" or just skip over ALL their posts. As I've said, I'm probably missing some good recipes, etc., but in MHO it's well worth the "price".

BTW - then you also won't have to read the "I'm not a bigot but here's a racial joke" posts, either.

Christina

Dat Christina say, "BTW - then you also won't have to read the "I'm not a bigot but here's a racial joke" posts, either."

Den alluvus dat use de Cajun dialect is bigots 'n on'ly tell racist jokes. Duz dese jokes include all races or duz we haz to limit it tuh sartin wans, HHHHUUUUNNNNHH?

DeColonelCAF
No. of Recommendations: 8
RE: Christina: "I simply will have no cooking boards on TMF to go to"

Being a native speaker of a unique sub-set of the Upper Midwestern dialect, I can appreciate that people of any regional or ethnic group will want to honor their heritage by retaining certain distinctive speech characteristics.

Especially when writing about food, using a colorful local phrase or historical term can enhance the message, but I'll admit that, like Christina and many others, I have trouble deciphering posts written in exaggerated dialect, beit Cajun, Yiddish, or whatever. Sometimes I take the time to deciopher them and other times I just bypass the posts. It depends on how interested I am in the topic I suppose.

If the authors enjoyment of writing in dialect supercedes their desire to be easily understood, I have no problem with that either. I personally have trouble enough being understood while trying to write in plain old English!

SB (plus, it ain't like it costs me a lot of money or anything?)
No. of Recommendations: 6
If the authors enjoyment of writing in dialect supercedes their desire to be easily understood, I have no problem with that either.

SB:

(Forgive the rant below - it's not directed at you.)

The author(s) apparently enjoy the fact that several other posters (myself included) do not want to spend the time decipering the exaggerated dialect.

I for one think it's inappropriate to post in ANY exaggerated dialect. You will note that I have very politely suggested that posts in such dialect be labeled "Cajun" so that I can ignore them. But that apparently is asking too much.

As you know, I have also been "lectured" (not by you!) several times about how I should learn the dialect and appreciate its place in US history. Excuse me, but this is the Recipe and Cooking Board. IF I wanted to learn more about "Cajun", I would do so elsewhere - not on a Recipe Board or on any message board on the Internet.

I agree with you in that it doesn't cost you (or me) any money. But it does cost me time. (And so does constantly having to compose posts like this about the situation. Therefore, I'm hoping that this is the last time I feel compelled to do so. And that should be pretty easy now that, unfortunately, I have decided that I have no choice but to use the "Ignored Fools" button more often.)

Christina, also not finding racial jokes funny (or for that matter even remotely appropriate for a Recipe Board)
No. of Recommendations: 1
While it is annoying, just click "Next." It's too bad because the posters oftern do have something good to add to the discussion.

bigpix
RE: Christina: "The author(s) apparently enjoy the fact that several other posters (myself included) do not want to spend the time decipering the exaggerated dialect."

Although, as previously stated, I tend to share your view on crypticly written posts, I honestly hadn't detected any nuance of malice or attempt to instigate argument in the posts referred to, other than perhaps an attempt at some good natured "ribbing", (to try and inject an element on On Topicality).

I probably spend as much time as anybody on TMF's boards, and I can be quite opinionated myself, but I've only used the [Ignore] button once, and that was on another board long ago.

Otherwise, I guess I have a "Post and Let Post" philosophy?

SB
No. of Recommendations: 2
I honestly hadn't detected any nuance of malice or attempt to instigate argument in the posts referred to, other than perhaps an attempt at some good natured "ribbing", (to try and inject an element on On Topicality).

SB:

I don't think it's malice or an attempt to instigate argument. I think it's simply (as I stated) that they enjoy the fact that I (and several other posters) don't "appreciate" the posts which contain the exaggerated dialect. Therefore they do it even more often -- responding just like children would.

I also don't think that making sexist comments and constantly referring to me as "that nice lady", etc. is particularly amusing -- it's condescending and that's exactly what is intended. (I've seen it often enough to recognize it.)

Like you, I don't generally use the "Ignored Fool" button - and I've been on the boards for several years and post "fairly often". But in this case, I'm making a couple of exceptions.

Christina

No. of Recommendations: 0
RE: Christina: "they enjoy the fact that I (and several other posters) don't "appreciate" the posts which contain the exaggerated dialect. Therefore they do it even more often -- responding just like children would." & "I also don't think that making sexist comments and constantly referring to me as "that nice lady", etc. is particularly amusing -- it's condescending and that's exactly what is intended. (I've seen it often enough to recognize it.)"

I guess "intent" is on the screen of the beholder, so to speak?

So, um, speaking of intent, what does everybody think about the Martha Stewart trial?

SB (trying to change the subject to one less controversial)
(trying to change the subject to one less controversial)

How about some recipes or cooking hints? Wouldn't that be a change of pace? LOL.

Christina
"I personally have trouble enough being understood while trying to write in plain old English!"

Hoo, boy! With this post, you just gave yourself away. While previously you've been singularly successful in hiding your light beneath the proverbial basket, you now stand revealed as erudite, enlightened and as someone who CAN type, spell and (in general, anyways) organize a thought or two.

(Unless, of course, you persuaded someone ELSE to do that post for you.)

(Grin)

Ray
RE: Christina: "How about some recipes or cooking hints? Wouldn't that be a change of pace?"

Does anybody have a good gumbo recipe?

~~~~~~~~~~~SB~~~~~~~~~~~~~running for cover~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ray,

If you understood it, I rest my case.

SB
"also not finding racial jokes funny (or for that matter even remotely appropriate for a Recipe Board)"

While I resent anyone trying to impose THEIR mores, morals, opinions, definitions, etc. on ME. We simply accept each of us as we ARE (NOT what others want us to be) or we are perfectly free to find another venue for our spite and small-mindedness.

Ray
"Does anybody have a good gumbo recipe?

~~~~~~~~~~~SB~~~~~~~~~~~~~running for cover~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "

S P L A T !

Ray
Dialects in America. Really for that matter, dialects from around the world. It all makes for a really great recipes and cooking board.
Jen
I suggest that like me (and several other posters), you make the posters attempting to educate the rest of us on the Cajun dialect "Ignored Fools" or just skip over ALL their posts. As I've said, I'm probably missing some good recipes, etc., but in MHO it's well worth the "price".

Unfortunately, it's become almost a third of the posts and it's a real hassle trying to read a thread when you can only understand 2/3 of the posts, and 1/3 of the posts you are reading are referencing the ones you cannot understand. I'm just not willing to work that hard to read a recipe board.
SB (plus, it ain't like it costs me a lot of money or anything?)

Actually, since most of us pay $30 a year to be here, it DOES cost us money.
RE: zs: "Actually, since most of us pay $30 a year to be here, it DOES cost us money"

So, if you read 1 post/yr it would have cost $30. That would be outrageous.

I read probably 10,000 posts/yr, which brings my cost down to about 3 for 1 cent. Figuring 2 cents worth to be the idiomatic method of establishing base value for opinions, that's a pretty good deal?

SB (ymmv)
So, if you read 1 post/yr it would have cost $30. That would be outrageous.

I read probably 10,000 posts/yr, which brings my cost down to about 3 for 1 cent. Figuring 2 cents worth to be the idiomatic method of establishing base value for opinions, that's a pretty good deal?

If I didn't think TMF was a good deal, I wouldn't be here. I just simply do not like having to waste my time attempting to decipher someone because a bunch of adult males want to act like little boys with a secret code (and yes, most of the folks doing this are male).
I have two children, I don't need to log on to a recipe board for more.
SB: (to sleeping dog) "Stay"
Dog? Did somebody say, 'Dog'?

Had an Alsatian (German Shepherd Dog) come in for evening surgery hours and he'd eaten ALL save one piece of a lady's apple crumble....plus the small paring knife that was in the pan. X-ray revealed the knife in his tummy. He didn't appear to be in any distress, in fact, looked quite pleased with himself.

90 minutes later, and the knife was returned to its rightful owner, dog is recovering well,asleep on the floor on an air mattress at my feet, and apple crumble sounds REALLY good for tea........

Best,
Bri
RE: scv: "and the knife was returned to its rightful owner, dog is recovering well,asleep on the floor on an air mattress at my feet, and apple crumble sounds REALLY good for tea"

Oh, come on now. Who would ever have crumble for tea!

Still, I'll bet when vets get together and talk shop there are many interesting tales of oddly ingested items?

SB (once knew a girl who worked for a proctologist; but you don't want to hear those stories)
Hiya again,

'Tea' is the rural (poor) class' way of referring to the evening meal, which almost ALWAYS includes a sweet. The apple crumble would be the sweet after the main meal (which, tonight, is breaded cod, I think).

Now if only this goofy dog would wake up so his owner can take him home, and then I can go home

Bri
(impatient at 1830 and wanting to go HOME)

I've had crumble for tea lots of times. Nothing strange about it.

Tonight's tea is probably fish and leftover mashed potatoes - no crumble, unfortunately.

FC
(wondering if this belongs in "Dialects outside America")
No. of Recommendations: 10
Och, aye, but of course it does laddie! How ken ye say tha' when ye ken verra well 'tis so!

Bri
Och, aye, but of course it does laddie! How ken ye say tha' when ye ken verra well 'tis so!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........don't think that this would fit into any of the "Dialects in America" which were contained in the link in my original post!!!

And no, I'm not going to start a thread entitled "Dialects throughout the World." LOL

Christina

Christina,

You have a grand sense of humour, to tolerate my aside. I just couldn't resist.........

Have a good week-end, everyone!

Bri
RE: FC: "I've had crumble for tea lots of times. Nothing strange about it."

No, but you have to admit that it's rather odd to crave something recently viewed as the contents of a dog's stomach?

Then again, I'm not a vet.

SB (nor do I play one on tv)

"and apple crumble sounds REALLY good for tea........"

The SAME apple crumble?

(Grin)

Ray
"Och, aye, but of course it does laddie! How ken ye say tha' when ye ken verra well 'tis so!"

Way to go, gal. THAT'LL lurn 'em! SCOTLAND FOREVER!

(Grin)

Ray
Food fight! Food Fight!

Sharpen up the wooden spoons, get the blueberries. I suss a storm a brewing.
Dat SB axed, "Does anybody have a good gumbo recipe?"

Being a reejistered Loozyana CoonAss Ah hates to admit dat Ah ain't got wan good gumbo recipe, jus' lak Ah ain't got wan good Jambalaya recipe or wan good chili recipe. Ah haz a 'bout a hunnert of each uv dem.

All uv dese dishes is made special by de way de individual puts deir own special flavors tugeddah. In Sout'west Loozyanna we calls de love de cook has fur dem dat eats it. Lake Jeff Smith said 'bout Jambalaya, if yuh axe ten Cajuns how to cook dis stuff yuh git 'bout fifteen recipes, but ten uv dem stahrt out, "Well, my Mama (or MawMaw)...."

So don' duck 'n run too hahrd....

DeColonelCAF
<<Being a reejistered Loozyana CoonAss Ah hates to admit dat Ah ain't got wan good gumbo recipe, jus' lak Ah ain't got wan good Jambalaya recipe or wan good chili recipe. Ah haz a 'bout a hunnert of each uv dem.
>>

I'ba don'tba underbastanzaba youba, couldaba youba spekaba inaba Mushmoutheze pleaseaba?

Kathy...Fat Albert Fan
To: "Kathy...Fat Albert Fan"

Yo, Ah'm wanna dem Fat Albert Fans too. Ah tawt his funniest bit wuz when he went fohr de drivers license 'n tolt de zamminar dat his cahr had a Cessna motor!!

DeColonelCAF
<<To: "Kathy...Fat Albert Fan"

Yo, Ah'm wanna dem Fat Albert Fans too. Ah tawt his funniest bit wuz when he went fohr de drivers license 'n tolt de zamminar dat his cahr had a Cessna motor!!

>>

My all time favorite one was when they went camping and Bill told them the scary story of the Chicken Heart...thump thump, thump thump...accckkk!

Can't remember the actual story but watchin those kids run for their lives form the chicken heart was hilarious.

Kathy
I also don't think that making sexist comments and constantly referring to me as "that nice lady", etc. is particularly amusing -- it's condescending and that's exactly what is intended. (I've seen it often enough to recognize it.)

I'm not sure how you get from "that nice lady" to condescending - can you explain the link please?

"Nice" can never be construed as anything other than complementary, and "lady" is just what you are (I'm assuming that as Christina you are in fact female).

Would you say calling someone "that nice gentleman" was condescending? If not, what's the difference? And if so, why?

Primm
*confused*

Huh? What's wrong with that?

Primm
*still confused*
Lake Jeff Smith said 'bout Jambalaya, if yuh axe ten Cajuns how to cook dis stuff yuh git 'bout fifteen recipes, but ten uv dem stahrt out, "Well, my Mama (or MawMaw)...."

A bit like Italians & spaghetti sauce!

Primm
*used to date an Italian*
I'm not sure how you get from "that nice lady" to condescending - can you explain the link please?

Primm:

You know that old saying: "I guess you had to be there"? Well, I guess if you had been here every time the Colonel started a post with "that nice lady" (referring to me), you might just have an inkling as to how sexist and condescending the posts have been.

As I said - I've seen enough of them to recognize it.

And to further assist you (just in case you're remotely interested) in understanding why I interpret the posts that way, I suggest you take note of the fact that I have (on more than one occasion) politely requested that the alledgedly "Cajun" language posts be identified as such. Is that a really difficult thing to do? I mean, all the poster would have to do is put the word "Cajun" in the subject. Have any of them done so? No.

I repeat one of my original comments. This is NOT the "Cajun Dialect Recipe/Cooking Board".

I do want to thank you for dropping by and showing your support of the Colonel and his cronies. By the number of recs your post has garnered, I'm sure that they all appreciate your post.

Christina
You know that old saying: "I guess you had to be there"? Well, I guess if you had been here every time the Colonel started a post with "that nice lady" (referring to me), you might just have an inkling as to how sexist and condescending the posts have been.

Fair enough. Still doesn't answer my question, but I don't think that's going to happen.

And to further assist you (just in case you're remotely interested)

Well actually, funnily enough I am remotely interested, in fact quite interested even. I try as hard as I can not to overinterpret people, and when I ask a question, it is always genuine.

in understanding why I interpret the posts that way, I suggest you take note of the fact that I have (on more than one occasion) politely requested that the alledgedly "Cajun" language posts be identified as such. Is that a really difficult thing to do? I mean, all the poster would have to do is put the word "Cajun" in the subject. Have any of them done so? No.

Maybe because the very fact that it is written in "Cajun" is pretty apparent once you read the first two words of the post? Just my thought, I wouldn't presume to speak for them. You read one word then press "next", not much different from reading two words, really!

I repeat one of my original comments. This is NOT the "Cajun Dialect Recipe/Cooking Board".

I do want to thank you for dropping by and showing your support of the Colonel and his cronies. By the number of recs your post has garnered, I'm sure that they all appreciate your post.

It was actually a serious question. And I've never met the Colonel or any of his "cronies", and have no reason to show support for him. In fact, sometimes I skip his posts too, depending on how keen I am to spend the time interpreting them. But I don't whinge about it.

However if you're just going to get snippy about it, lets just forget the whole thing, shall we? :-)

Primm
Oh crap. Let's try that again, shall we? With a "preview" this time! :-)

Fair enough. Still doesn't answer my question, but I don't think that's going to happen.

And to further assist you (just in case you're remotely interested)

Well actually, funnily enough I am remotely interested, in fact quite interested even. I try as hard as I can not to overinterpret people, and when I ask a question, it is always genuine.

in understanding why I interpret the posts that way, I suggest you take note of the fact that I have (on more than one occasion) politely requested that the alledgedly "Cajun" language posts be identified as such. Is that a really difficult thing to do? I mean, all the poster would have to do is put the word "Cajun" in the subject. Have any of them done so? No.

Maybe because the very fact that it is written in "Cajun" is pretty apparent once you read the first two words of the post? Just my thought, I wouldn't presume to speak for them. You read one word then press "next", not much different from reading two words, really!

It was actually a serious question. And I've never met the Colonel or any of his "cronies", and have no reason to show support for him. In fact, sometimes I skip his posts too, depending on how keen I am to spend the time interpreting them. But I don't whinge about it.

However if you're just going to get snippy about it, lets just forget the whole thing, shall we? :-)

Primm
Is that a really difficult thing to do?

Must be. That would cut into the time it takes to actually type that tripe. Really now, talk about having too much time on one's hands. One thing though, they don't have to bother spell checking their posts since no one could possibly know if they were spelling their so called words correctly.

You're right that some common courtesy would be nice but I see that is too much to expect.

I'm done on this for the time being.

Let's talk about food, again.

bigpix

primm:

I re-read my reply to your post and I want to apologize to you because I did sound a bit "snippy". But considering the fact that I have had to "defend" myself several times (including over the last few days) just because I don't want to read "Cajun dialect" posts, my tone should not be a surprise.

And to respond to your suggestion that I can read just one word of the post and know it's supposedly in Cajun, let me say this. I have politely asked that the posters put the word "Cajun" into the subject line. If they did that, I wouldn't have to click on the post, read a word or two and then click "next". I could just click "next" as soon as I saw the subject line. So, it not the difference of one word or two. It's being able to totally skip the post.

But......that's obviously never going to happen. I'll just have to keep adding folks to my "Ignored Fool" box. I really hate to do that but I no longer have a choice.

Christina