Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hey all,

Well, I went to the pulmonologist yesterday and it turns out that I do indeed have asthma. It's not super-serious, but I am on a few drugs to try and knock me out of this current bad bout I am having, which could take a couple of weeks. I go back to the doctor in early June.

In other news, my boyfriend is either an idiot or he hates my guts, or perhaps both. I sent him a message yesterday telling him about the diagnosis, and I have heard nothing from him. Nothing. Not an email, not a phone call, not a carrier pigeon message saying "I don't care, get the $#@% out of my life". We've been having some difficulty lately, but this is just too much.

So, unless he has some really good excuse, I probably have acquired a chronic illness and lost a boyfriend in the same 48 hour period.

I hate my life right now.

d
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
((((((Dianakalt)))))

Things will look brighter. Hang in there. Is it possible your BF didn't get the message?

Sending good karma your way,

RJ
Things will look brighter. Hang in there. Is it possible your BF didn't get the message?

Sending good karma your way,

I'd say there is maybe a 1% chance he didn't get the message.

Like I said, we have been having some struggles lately, many of which originated a few months ago when he suddenly got sick with a kidney stone and literally dealt with that for weeks and he felt like crap afterwards. He has had some major health issues in the past which cause him to take a long time to heal, and has had some issues with mild depression in the past. I thought that's what I was up against.

I have since come to think that maybe he wants to end the relationship but instead of being honest with me, he is just trying to piss me off so that I will end it.

He may get his way.

I don't know what the hell is so wrong with me that anyone would treat me like this, but it feels like $#!t.

d
No. of Recommendations: 3

I don't know what the hell is so wrong with me that anyone would treat me like this, but it feels like $#!t.

d

Give me an address, and there will be an a$$-kicking by noon.

I promise.

impolite

I promise.

impolite

You know the name of his company.

113th and 1-35.

I'll be looking for the story on the evening news.

d

I promise.

Please stay out of jail, sweetie.

RJ
You know the name of his company.

113th and 1-35.

I'll be looking for the story on the evening news.

d

SNORT You won't have to wait that long.

"Did you hear?! Some little gal whooped a guy down on I-35! They had to bring out the SWAT team!"

impolite

I promise.

Please stay out of jail, sweetie.

RJ

I can bail her out.
So sorry to hear about the asthma and the boyfriend. Like one thing isn't enought to deal with at this time. Are you going to call him, or wait and see what he does?

jez
So sorry to hear about the asthma and the boyfriend. Like one thing isn't enought to deal with at this time. Are you going to call him, or wait and see what he does?

I already tried "wait and see what he does". He has done nothing.

I emailed him this morning and told him that I need to talk to him and that I will be coming to his house this evening after work at around 6.

d

No. of Recommendations: 3
I emailed him this morning and told him that I need to talk to him and that I will be coming to his house this evening after work at around 6.

d

Oh. I'll leave his face alone then, so he can speak.

Just one last chat, then. GACK girl, call me if it goes horribly. The kids ought to be in bed by the time you are finished, and you can stop by the house and we'll get you nice and toasted on brandy. You can sleep it off and wander home in the morning.

impolite
I emailed him this morning and told him that I need to talk to him and that I will be coming to his house this evening after work at around 6.*

*assuming the jerk is out of the hospital by then. Go get him, Bruiser. ;)

RJ

No. of Recommendations: 1

Here's hoping it all starts to get better.

(((((d)))))
No. of Recommendations: 1
we'll get you nice and toasted on brandy.

(((((Diana)))))

I'll even send impolite more brandy to help.

Odee
No. of Recommendations: 8
Damn.

I will say from experience that having asthma is nowhere near as bad as having a BF who is not supportive of your health concerns.
No. of Recommendations: 25

Greetings, diana, NOTHING is wrong with you. Switch that pronoun to make it apply to him.

Of course it still feels like $#!t anyway, so that part still needs reckoning. But you, YOU'RE fine and deserving and beloved - for sure, around here. Even that crappy old asthma business may not end up having to be permanent or long-term, necessarily either - the precursor to a final diagnosis of asthma is RAD, "reactive airway disease," in which you can develop all the symptoms of asthma with persistent cough, wheeze, sometimes mild low oxygen, and once cleared up it could end up going away altogether. It's an asthma-like flare in response to some prior insult, like an upper respiratory viral infection (and we know you didn't have anything like one of THOSE recently, eh ;-) ?) The treatment for RAD is the same as treatment for asthma, only the chronicity is different, and I am hoping that your current bout decides to resolve over time in full.

((((((( dianakalt ))))))) Here's hoping that your boyfriend steps up and decides to deal with you forthrightly. You've always been a "shoot from the hip", fully honest and direct approach-taker so I am hoping he will find his spine and face you.

xraymd

Update:

He called at noon. He says he was home sick yesterday and didn't get my email until this morning, and wanted to know if we could talk right then. I wasn't prepared for that so I told him no, so I'm going to his house later this evening, so I'm going over there at about 6. And I am quite sure I am going to hear about how I am blowing this out of proportion because he was sick and didn't check email, but we have some other crap to discuss. Besides, he's known since last week I was having trouble and didn't say boo.

Please know that I do not really want to break up with this guy - I want things to be more like they used to be up until a couple of months ago or so. But if they can't be I can't go on like this much longer.

d
I'll start the crowd in chanting... Everyone repeat after me!

Dump his butt!

DUMP HIS BUTT!
No. of Recommendations: 6
Please know that I do not really want to break up with this guy - I want things to be more like they used to be up until a couple of months ago or so. But if they can't be I can't go on like this much longer.

Greetings, diana, so glad that there appears to be an explanation, of sorts. It seems the guy you do not really want to break up with is the one he was before a couple of months ago. What's with the one he has become? Hoping this is not a prelude to either an unwanted break-up or to a preview of how he is when he's not at his best. No matter what, even at the worst of someone's personal state - physical or mental - it seems that if he means to be inclusive of you, you'd feel like you mattered to him even if he could not express it to the utmost due to other difficult personal problems he was trying to reckon with. But outright indifference and not saying boo when YOU CLEARLY NEEDED THAT is not a good harbinger - it smacks of a degree of self-centeredness that may not bode well for how well he will contend with things in the future. Perhaps this is not done for yet, but it sure seems like he needs to get a clue - quick - on what it means to be committed to someone. Nobody is asking him to be 100% attentive 100% of the time (who could possibly do that?) but given how neglected and uncared-for you've been feeling, I consider it a crisis of emotional-life-threatening proportions which needs a crash-cart level resuscitation on the double. I am hoping that is what you get tonight when you see him, if that is what your wish is.

xraymd

{{{{{dianakalt}}}}}

Look, if he's treating you like poop, I can guarantee it's not because there's something wrong with you. You are a fabulous, fantastic person, and he maybe has issues or fell off the planet or something, or maybe he's just a big hosehead, but *you* are wonderful. Don't go blaming yourself. Sometimes people are just doo-doo heads, even to the best people in their lives. (see DN).

--Booa
He called at noon. He says he was home sick yesterday and didn't get my email until this morning, and wanted to know if we could talk right then. I wasn't prepared for that so I told him no, so I'm going to his house later this evening, so I'm going over there at about 6.

Well, if he has a lick of sense, he'll have a lovely, black-tie appropriate candlelit dinner waiting, and flowers. But, if he goes the "You're blowing this out of proportion," route (which is how my kitchen window got broken after I flung a jar of peanut butter mostly not in the direction of my DH), well...imp can bat cleanup, but I certainly hope he gets a clue-by-four upside the head from you.

Out of proportion, my Aunt Fanny. Grrr.

--Booa