Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I have only 10 minutes before I have to run off to a meeting, which effectively means the only thing I can really accomplish is a post at the Fool, so I figured I'd use my tim wisely. :o)

A few days ago, I posted about my Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Cough here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24037881

Thought you guys might like an update.

As it turns out, the T,H,N-G,VB cough is also accompanied by some shortness of breath. And, it has not gotten any worse since last week but it also hasn't really gotten any better. So, today I went back to the doctor to get checked out.

The doc was a little bit mystified, since most people she has seen with this crud have gotten rid of it with the Zpak. The test for the walking pneumonia hasn't come back yet, but she doesn't think that's what it is based on the fact that I haven't responded to that treatment.

Her current theory?

Asthma

Yipes!

I have been referred to a pulmonologist, and also been given another inhaler (this one is fast-acting instead of the Advair steroid inhaler). I am expecting to have a chest x-ray and a spirotomy (sp?) test when I visit the pulmonologist.

Hopefully I'll know some more soon.

Have a good day, all!

d
Print the post Back To Top
Her current theory?

Asthma

But how does that just....happen?

impolite
Her current theory?

Asthma

But how does that just....happen?

impolite

I'm not entirely sure that it did just now happen. Most likely, my situtation is a combination of exercise and allergy induced asthma, if indeed I have asthma. Upon discussing my history with her and learning a little more about this, it's likely this has actually been a problem for some time, and I have just written it off as a bad cold, and the cough eventually mostly went away. Additionally, I wasn't really exercising at all until a couple of months ago, so my new health kick has made me a) realize the problem and b) since the problem has been untreated, actually aggravated it.

No. of Recommendations: 2
Additionally, I wasn't really exercising at all until a couple of months ago, so my new health kick has made me a) realize the problem and b) since the problem has been untreated, actually aggravated it.

I hereby declare this: Unfair.

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 5
so my new health kick has...actually aggravated [the problem].

I knew exercise was bad for you.

I knew it!

HM!
No. of Recommendations: 1

I had a similar problem several years ago. If you have any chronic post nasal drip and/or lots of heartburn tell the physician/pulmonologist. The post nasal drip can get in your throat and make you cough and the heartburn/acid reflux can irritate your lungs mimicking asthma. I was originally diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, now on a nasal spray and Nexium... no problems.

Nicole
No. of Recommendations: 6
Most likely, my situtation is a combination of exercise and allergy induced asthma...

<lurk mode off>
Good morning!
I've never posted on this board before, and certainly don't wish to hijack more important postings... but I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone with the asthma thing. BTDT.

My parents say I've had asthma since I was 3. I'm also a pharmacist. If you think your questions are all answered, fantastic. Otherwise, let me know and I can point you to the official evidence-based guidelines for the stepwise treatment of asthma that the docs use.

And I'm chock full of lots of useless info such as:
1: Albuterol inhalers taste like liquid tin foil. You come to accept it because you don't really have a choice. Also, when I carry an albuterol inhaler in my pocket for more than two weeks, the elevated temperature causes it to lose potency.
2: Dry powder inhalers taste like corn starch, because that's the vehicle that carries the drug into the lungs.
3: Any inhaler that has menthol as an ingredient feels weird. (I've always wondered if it's similar to menthol cigarettes...)
4: Taking pills sucks. Taking pills more than once a day is a massive pain. Perfect compliance is nigh unto impossible.
5: Rinse (gargle if you like) and spit after using steroid inhalers of any sort. Thrush is unpleasant.
6: Asthma is one of the most manageable chronic diseases. You have lots and lots of choices. Don't let it limit you.

For the rest of y'all: Hi there! I found this board because certain posts on Snippee's and RJ's boards weren't making sense, so I went stalking.

Thanks for listening.
Randy
</lurk mode recommmence>
No. of Recommendations: 2
Also, when I carry an albuterol inhaler in my pocket for more than two weeks, the elevated temperature causes it to lose potency.

Really? Why do I think I haven't ever heard of that before?!

Crap. Crap, crap and double crap. I keep an emergency inhaler in my car's glove box. Neither I nor my daughter need them very often (my doctor wishes that every severe asthmatic had the success I've had... long story.. I won't bore you) but now I need to rethink where I store that damned thing. I figured that the pressurized container was more stable than the liquid such as used for nebulizers.

I suppose the trunk would be better. With my 3-day bug-out pack & super-dooper first aid kit. Now that I think about it, I use the first aid kid more frequently than the inhaler.

Thanks for the heads-up. You've given me something to ponder.

It is curious, isn't it? We become accustomed to a routine... we learn what we need to get by... and then somehow, something obvious like "heat destroys albuterol" gets forgotten.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It is curious, isn't it? We become accustomed to a routine... we learn what we need to get by... and then somehow, something obvious like "heat destroys albuterol" gets forgotten.

I totally know what you mean. I keep one in the car, too. But I use it a little more often. And the loss of potency is most apparent when I open a new inhaler and it slams into me. Hack hack. Whoa.

I guess I don't mean that the drug is completely destroyed, but more like it takes an extra puff to get the same effect. (Of course, the expiration date on the canister is also probably pretty accurate in this case, too...)

The good news is that the generic inhalers are dirt cheap. Especially if you shop around. Costco has a pretty decent deal on them. You can afford to change them out without breaking the bank.

And speaking of totally dirt cheap... Loratadine (generic Claritin) is sold by Costco for $13 for 300 tablets. That's 1/10th of the next best price I've found in the entire city. Yay Costco!

Thanks!
Randy