No. of Recommendations: 0
Diat wrote:

I have a Scottrade Roth IRA account and I usually dump money into it once a month. My entire RIRA contains cash and Vanguard S&P 500 (VFINX). I don't always go ahead and buy VFINX as soon as the money posts. The last time I bought was Spetember 27, 2004. I didn't see any extra fees with the tranaction. This evening, I was going to put in an order today for $500 worth to be bought tomorrow, until I saw a tranaction fee of $17. This really threw me off and I didn't buy the stock. Has VFINX started charging tranaction fees everywhere (at other brokerages) or did I do something wrong? Any else run into this?
-------------------

The short answer is - No, (VFINX) or Vanguard, has not started charging anything for the purchase of their funds. However, ScotTrade has started charging "Transaction Fees" ($17.00 - buy/sell/transfer) for several fund companies beginning the first of this year (2005) and Vanguard is one of the companies they are charging this fee for. They publish a list of the fund companies that they "DO NOT" charge a fee for (NTF), however, either they do not publish a similar list of those they charge for or they have hidden well within their site.

Regards,
Bill

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.