No. of Recommendations: 0
Did she mention the NUA (Net Unrealized Appreciation) option for moving company stock from a 401(k) to a taxable account? It sounds like you had a pretty low cost basis, and may have benefited by moving the stock to a taxable account, rather than the IRA.

GTE Government Systems Corporation was sold to General Dynamics Corporation in 1999 to allow the merger of GTE and Bell Atlantic and the formation of Verizon. I was locked out of my GTE 401(k) until the merger completed. Verizon provided me physical stock certificates when I closed my 401(k) that I deposited in my IRA account. I don't recall discussing my intentions with her before giving her the certificates to put into my IRA account in 2001.

In 2013 when I retired from General Dynamics Corporation, I did make use of the NUA option to empty my General Dynamics 401(k). Fidelity was managing the 401(k), sold my shares, and sent me a check that I deposited in my taxable investment account. I used the money to invest in an MLP whose dividends were classified as a Return of Capital.

The NUA wasn't as beneficial as I thought it would be due to it needing to be taken in the same calendar year as the trigger event--retirement.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.