No. of Recommendations: 1
Did you ask this same thing a month or so ago? Someone did....

I'm thinking a file got messed up that you need to boot. The same thing happened with my 2006 iMac 6 months ago, and luckily I had an install DVD with me (I was away from home, but with my iMac). I just booted from the DVD, ran the installer without wiping, and then booted from the install. Once up, I then had to run software update to get back to 10.6.8.

Another thing to try is booting in verbose mode. Just hold down the V key while booting. It will start displaying lots of text, basically the log that it creates while booting. Don't worry about all of it. What's important is the last line or 3 when it stops booting. Most likely it is trying to read a file, and that's the file that got messed up.

But if it's not a file, it might give you an idea of what's wrong. Like if it is testing the memory or HD or something.

You could try that first if you want. Either way. It's what they'll likely do at the Genius Bar.

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.