Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Did you measure by weight or by volume? As noted in the recipe weight is much more accurate. The difference is largely due to how tightly the flour is packed. Think how sifting loosens the flour.

Also the amount of water retained in the flour can vary due to relative humidity differences. The season can cause a large difference in water retained.
Print the post Back To Top
post the recipe or link to the recipe. Hydration % in bread baking is the difference between good and great bread.
This is the recipe I used, although I cut it in half as I don't have a bowl that would hold that much. That's why I think my measurements may have been off.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-whit...
there are lots of recipes out there -
IME, the important arts are more the baking than the exact measurements:

The cooking vessel must be preheated prior to cooking.
It helps with adding water in a pan at the bottom of the stove.

I quite enjoy a tough, chewy crust.

peace & the NYT recipe
t
Did you measure by weight or by volume? As noted in the recipe weight is much more accurate. The difference is largely due to how tightly the flour is packed. Think how sifting loosens the flour.

Also the amount of water retained in the flour can vary due to relative humidity differences. The season can cause a large difference in water retained.
Did you measure by weight or by volume?

It has been my experience that the no knead breads are much more forgiving than traditional bread recipes.

peace & sifting
t