Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Did you read Bogey's response? He did explain how it happened, and why the penny stocks shouldn't have been listed.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25724883

I did actually see Bogey's response and while his post addresses the direct penny stock ads, it skirts the penny stock newsletter issue. I've sent several emails asking for clarification, but still haven't heard back . . .

In the post, Bogey asks us to report bad ads to the Fool, but doesn't provide a way for me to do that. It's been a day and a half since I complained about the China Investor report and yet Fools are still being directed to the site. If this ad isn't against the rules, than why won't the Fool just speak up and say newsletters aren't our problem, it's up to the buyer to beware? If they aren't OK, than give me someplace where I can officially report newsletters/stocks/bogus private investments, etc and I'll be happy to file my complaints privately.

They may be relying on third parties to screen the ads, but when they won't tell their readers what the criteria is for inclusion into their ad program, it makes it hard for our millions of eyeballs to be on the lookout. I'm not asking the Motley Fool to do extensive research on every ad, but when a newsletter consistently recommends thinly traded stocks that they are compensated for writing about, it raises real questions about the legitimacy of the investment advice. If there is a question of impropriety, than I think the Fool owes it to their readers to err on the side of caution.

In the case of China Investor, not only is the newsletter's offer a bit misleading, but their past recommendations appear to be speculative and driven by hype. If there is a single journalist at the Fool, who would even consider purchasing UPBS in their own account, I'll drop my protest, but I think when you look at Steve Bajic's connecion to Pan American Gold Corp, it's pretty clear that the people involved in the creation of the company, don't have the best track record. It may be up to each investor to do their own due diligence, but that still doesn't mean that the Motley Fool should be handing them a loaded gun.
Print the post  

Announcements

Community Town Hall
Banter, potshots, and all the stuff we said you can't post on ITF. Why not try it?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.