Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
(Did you really sleep in your car?)

Sure. Though be advised: sleeping in a car outside Boston in the summer is not impressive. Doing it in January, on the other hand, would be.

These pages are all dated from 2002, so we can assume some progress since then.

I wouldn't. It was my looking into Wright-Pat's HTS effort...and where it wasn't, in 2006 - that led me to push it again.
fyi: the response I got back from a manager at the company implied that they hadn't, indeed, had much to do with aerospace applications in quite a while.

separate item: I just sent this to a manager of the company as well:
John -

Hope you don't mind another thought from the peanut gallery on HTS applications. I'm not a EE, so I may be on shaky ground even suggesting this.

I found the recent announcement (below) on Mitsubishi's continuing with true electric vehicle development very interesting.

Transitioning from one electric motor per wheel to a central electric motor is interesting - and, maybe, an opportunity.
Unlike in a hybrid, in an all-EV, the efficiency of the motor is everything. Here, MHI is centralizing the motor; making it more amenable to any technology that might have an additional impact. If Mitsubishi et al have not looked at modern, 2006-technology level HTS wire for their new central motors, maybe someone should suggest it to them. If doable, it could have one (or both) these effects:
- increased power in a smaller package.
- greater range from exactly the same sized battery pack - something that could be a paradigm shifter for this type of product.

While my ribbing to you in the past has been on aerospace applications (I'm a tad biased in that regard), the potential attraction to any possible automotive application could end up being greater; simply because of potential volume, something aerospace can never match. While probably not in the millions-of-meters per customer order that you like to think in terms of (!), it still could be interesting. Particularly if the actual motor was designed and manufactured by the same company making the wire.

Lots of blue-sky 'ifs', I know; but then again, that's what's driven y'all for almost two decades, right?

Just a thought. If it doesn't seem totally idiotic to you, maybe consider forwarding it to someone in Wires of Supermachines charged with looking at potentially new applications.

Cheers

http://tinyurl.com/ylgw4m

'The federal government shall not support any science education program that includes instruction in concepts that are derived from ideology and not science. - Bill of RIghts, Scientists & Engineers for America'
'

wonder what weapons will be requiring megawatts of power? Rail guns? Ray guns? There is mention on one of the pages of a "Directed Energy" department, with no further info.

High-powered lasers. Though the current focus is on chemically-generated airborne lasers, not electrical.

jp
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.